Why traders get no respect

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Epiphany, Sep 13, 2003.

1. xbrxx

xbrxx

If money can't buy health. Why is that in African Countries and 3rd world asian countries the life expectancy is so low? Are those people that rich and want to die early? I dunno about you, but I doubt a lot of people wanna die at 50.

Just wondering, but would you have the ability to tutor kids and volunteer if you were not living in a RICH country? You have excess amount of money, thats why YOU are able to seek these other THINGS that make you feel good. If you were living in China bringing home 2 dollars a day.... the last thing on your mind is! HEY I'm gonna volunteer kids! and it makes me feeell soooo goood! Its more like.... man, i need to get some food, i'm damn hungry.

To sum it up.... money is the basis for happiness... believe it or not. It is a NECESSITY for everything. 99.9999% of the time, you will never find love without money. You cannot be happy without money(well maybe a few people... rare... very rare). You cannot be healthy without money. Because MONEY covers all necessities.... FOOD...WATER... HEALTH.... A PLACE TO SLEEP... BLAH BLAH BLAH ETC. If you haven't covered those necessities... no one would be dumb enough to search for LOVE or Happiness. IN other words.... MONEY is the foundaition for love and happiness! without money you will never have love and happiness.

xbrxx

#31     Sep 13, 2003
  2. While I agree with what you have said, it only proves that you can't (or are highly unlikely to) be happy/loved etc.etc.blahblah without money. That does not mean that any amount of money will be able to guarantee health, buy love etc.etc.blahblah.

In other words:

Without money, there is no blah, but that does not mean money leads to blah.

#32     Sep 13, 2003
  3. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

Sorry but money can't buy health. If you had $100 million and were diagnosed with a terminal illness that money won't mean anything.

And I do not have an "excess amount of money". I just manage my money fairly well and have a desire to try to give back a little by volunteering. I don't need a lot of "stuff" to be happy which is why I disagree with the premise that money buys happiness.

Regarding your statement on 99.9999% of people won't find love without money ... well, I guess I fell into the 0.0001% then because she accepts me and loves me whether I make or lose money on any given day. And if I have a bad year so what? Life goes on. And you can be healthy without money. Proper diet and exercise are the crux of it, trust me. I've been to the doctor 3 times in the last 7 1/2 years since I started trading. Exercise is a daily part of my routine.

Not trying to get into a debate since I know I'm not the norm who thinks materialistic things will make me happy. In reality I think more people who have a lot of "stuff" are actually unhappy and continue to buy and acquire stuff to fill the other voids in their life (such as a bad marriage, etc.). Money can buy "happiness" short term for lots of people, whether it be by buying more "stuff", drinking, doing drugs, partying. But, those "good feelings" wear off in a short time and then they need a new "fix".

#33     Sep 13, 2003
  4. brokerj

brokerj

next topic ... did you hear about the dylsexic, insomniac that was an agnostic??

#34     Sep 13, 2003

5. right and wrong. an example--those with cash are able to "buy" their way into the best medical facilities and actually purchase needed organs and places in line awaiting such organs. this is fact. yes, you are right, money can't buy health BUT money can keep you healthy.

best,

surfer

#35     Sep 13, 2003
  6. What is 3%H202?

#36     Sep 13, 2003
  7. swimmus

swimmus

I just realized how bad I have it after reading this thread!

#37     Sep 13, 2003
  8. You guys are on different wavelengths and I think you're debating from opposite extremes. Both of you have a valid point if you understand where the other is coming from.

About your statement about finding love and health without money... If you had NO money, you probably won't have health or love. Picture this scenario: You are picked up from your house with only the shirt on your back and flown and dropped off in a poor country. You have no wallet, no bank account, nothing material, no friends or contacts. The place you are at has no paved roads, no sewer systems, no clean water (think of some places in China, Africa, India, Middle East) and try to live there for the rest of your life. I think the point he is trying to make is that you will likely focus your attention on basic needs instead of love and health. Because we are living in a first world country that does not have to worry about basic needs, then we have the luxury of pursuing other things. Without money, you will probably fall victim to malnutrion and not have the health you are referring to.

Like I said, both points are valid but you guys are talking on polar extremes. I hope you can see it now and respect the point the other is making without getting into a nasty debate.

DNAJ65000

#38     Sep 13, 2003
  9. Jim Young: They say money can't buy happiness? Look at the fucking smile on my face. Ear to ear, baby.

Jim Young: Anybody who tells you money is the root of all evil doesn't fucking have any.
    ---- Boiler Room

#39     Sep 13, 2003

10. I love those quotes! The rest of the movie was average but Ben Affleck's monologues was enough to make me buy the DVD.

DNAJ65000

#40     Sep 13, 2003