why trade ATM options vs OTM

Discussion in 'Options' started by met1989, Jul 9, 2018.

1. met1989

met1989

i have been trading on a demo account for a long time and now its been a month that im in the real money which is going good, but i though of an idea why should i buy a ATM option that costs 3* more then an option OTM with the same expiry date ? if my goal is to just wait for the value of the option goes up so it will also go up if the market moves up 1% or 2% and my risk and exposure is much less then buy-in ATM options what do u guys think about ?

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

ATM, and just ITM options are a stock replacement strategy while OTM options are more of a wish looking for a home run. You can be right on stock direction and still lose money with OTM options.

rtw and cafeole like this.
  3. met1989

met1989

But it will still go up in value of the stock moves up 1%

4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Not always. Depends on time decay. If you buy options out 6 months, yes. If you buy a $0.10 options with 1 week to go, maybe not. All I can tell you is that the strategy of buying OTM calls over time is a loser. You might get lucky a few times, but the discipline to exit the option when not working is hard. You will say, it is just 3 cents now, why sell..... Just my opinion. The opinion of an X-market maker with 25 years of professional option trading and 37 years in the business.

I personally like buying just IMO puts or calls vs the stock, as long as the options are liquid with narrow spreads, as I do not feel like I need stops in place, just an exit plan. You still have to avoid the impulse to over lever. I would replicate the same amount of deltas I want and stick to short time spans.

rtw and PennySnatch like this.
  5. smallfil

smallfil

Most OTM options are lottery type plays. It looks good on paper each time you make a profit because of the huge gains however, what about the numerous other times you fail? This is a game of percentages just like in baseball. A batter hitting .300 wouldn't seem to much of a hitter but, he is a pretty good hitter. Very few batters hit .300. So, he swings and misses on 7/10 times he goes to bat. By analogy, your OTM batter hits .100 which means he misses on 9/10 times he goes to bat. A trader probably, puts on hundreds of trades on a given year. In my case, I probably, have 300 trades a year. About half of them 150 trades will be losers. I mostly, buy ATM or ITM options. If I were to buy the lottery types of trades, my win percentage would go down to maybe, 50 trades out of 300 or 20%. That act alone probably, will put me in the red. Am I trading to make monies or to just lose my monies? If you maintain a trading journal, you should be able to track how badly, you do with the OTM lottery type of trades. It looks good the few times you make out like a bandit but, most times, you will feel like having been robbed by bandits yourself most of the other times!

met1989 and Robert Morse like this.
  6. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

well said.

7. met1989

met1989

so u guys saying its not a good idea to check out?

8. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

It is not a good idea to only do that. You are reducing your odds of success. To me, more like gambling.

9. met1989

met1989

I hate gambling

10. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I LOVE craps, but I never win over time.

#10     Jul 9, 2018