why those working at the statistics dept don't make a fortune?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ADX_trader, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Just one data could pump 20 points of the NQ or the T-Notes. :eek: Those made the statistics should easily make a fortune. Today, I know what is the best job in the world. Not the CEO of Microsoft. But the statistician!:D

2. Because they would have sold at the open today.

3. Actually the probability of the market closing a gap is quite likely.

4. Soo??? :confused:
    The comment was about the people who calculate economic statistics: unemployment numbers, payrolls etc etc.... and it was a very good question: why those guys don't own the market? they have at least one informational advantage over the rest of us...

5. ElCubano

ElCubano

I honestly think some do take advantage......You cant own the market on that news alone....you can take advantage of the move after the anouncement, but sometimes you will still be wrong. The news has to be way of consensus (IMO) to really feel confident it will move in your direction. I mean if they were looking for 5.9% unemployment and they get 5.8%...which way would you bet???.....peace

oooops, maybe you were reffering to them lying about the data...not only knowing before hand......

6. what about the whole insider trading thing??? They can't really take advantage of that info to make a fortune. At least they shouldn't be able to. Not in this country. In some emerging markets, quite possibly.