Why Those Credit Suisse Executives Seem So Junior

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by RedSun, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Fain

Fain

Very True. Secret to happiness is being content with less and what you have already.

#21     Apr 7, 2021
  2. RedSun

RedSun

Not true at all.

It is not really that you are happy with LESS like you stated. When you type that here, do you think you are happy with less than some of the top hedge fund managers making $1B+?

Where is the top?

#22     Apr 7, 2021
  3. El Trado

El Trado

Of course you are free to believe what you want, but let me quote from the article:

"Some of the study's findings you've heard before. For example, when the author of the report asked a manager from a top investment bank what happens to the resume of someone who went to Rutgers. They said, “I’m just being really honest, it pretty much goes into a black hole.”

and

You will find it when you go to like career fairs or something and you know someone will show up and say, you know, “Hey, I didn’t go to HBS [Harvard Business School] but, you know, I am an engineer at M.I.T. and I heard about this fair and I wanted to come meet you in New York.” God bless him for the effort but, you know, it’s just not going to work.

and

Columbia might be considered elite by some investment banks, but others describe it as ”second-tier” or “just okay.”

and of course:

"If you didn't go to one of the "top 5" listed above, the recruiters you'll probably need a connection, or to be really strong in the second category of things they're looking for, extracurriculars"

So yes, there are hope if you didn't go to the top 5. But it will be a lot harder......

#23     Apr 7, 2021
  4. Fain

Fain

There is traders, managers and dealmakers that have the competitive instinct and drive to make more and more.

Generally, those in Risk, Treasury, Back-office Settlements have more of a Type B personality and are happy with less.

#24     Apr 7, 2021
  5. JSOP

JSOP

second-tier in terms of investment and finance, oh ok. That's fine. Every single university has its own specialties.

#25     Apr 7, 2021
  6. JSOP

JSOP

No they are just a bunch of mavericks. They have totally no risk management seeing what kind of person that they had in the post of Chief Risk Management and Compliance. They just didn't give a s***. To them, risk management is putting as many eggs as they can in one basket and think because they have so many eggs in the basket that the basket mush be so strong that it will never break. :D

Market intelligence or not, lending somebody 600 - 800% of their net capital is suicide.

#26     Apr 7, 2021
  7. RedSun

RedSun

Completely false.

Mr. Billy Hwang is super competitive. But do not say he has the competitive "instinct" than some of the risk managers. People just have different jobs....

If you put any of the risk management guys in a trading position, they can be as competitive as any front office traders. They would probably do better job since they understand the market risk better.

#27     Apr 7, 2021
    JSOP likes this.
  8. Fain

Fain

Risk analyst is not the alpha male job title in capital markets and there's good reason for it. It's a bitch job to be honest. It's necessary for firms and is needed but not anyone's end goal.

Most use it as a means to an end as a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

#28     Apr 7, 2021
  9. RedSun

RedSun

It is not.

They are just different jobs. I've seen risk or quant folks going to front office. And some end of career traders going to market risk. It is nothing like what you stated.

Personally I've worked at both roles, and much more than those two....

#29     Apr 7, 2021
  10. Fain

Fain

Okay, you win man.

Jobs in Risk Management get the best pay and all the glory. Guys wanna be them and all the girls wanna screw them. Alongside Accountants, and Insurance Claims adjusters, they are the true mavericks of our society.

#30     Apr 7, 2021
    El Trado likes this.