"Why the World Hates America"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hapaboy, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Yeah, great 'analysis', man.

Get real.

I recently spent four months in various countries in southeastern Europe, where anti-American sentiment runs high. People are straightforward about stating their dislike of 'America' - ie its government - being due to America's meddling in the region. It truly is as simple as that.

'Legacy of communism', oh brother. Maybe in Cuba or Venezuela, but again, surely that would be because America is unwililng to simply let them be communists or (probably doomed, but ever hopeful) 'third way-ers' in peace.

The excesses of American pop culture truly are deplorable, but is that a reason to hate America? Maybe for the Muslim Brotherhood, but for the world? German or French pop culture is, today, just as depraved, so it's hard to see how that could explain French or German anti-American sentiment.

As for 'envy', well that's quite brilliant. Not requiring any proof, it then no longer matters what one's ostensible reasons are, we can just assume a pervasive 'envy' lurking in the background.

The sad thing is not so much that this an absurd analysis, but that so many apparently halfway intelligent Americans are likely to believe it.

#11     Sep 1, 2006
  2. nitro

nitro

Your new found hatred I hope will not affect implementing logical voting in midterm elections and for the next Prez. If a good democratic candidate surfaces like Bill Clinton, your choice to vote for a candidate like that should be weighed on resume alone.

The logic of the situation probably demands a strong handed democratic president and a republican congress, but it will be interesting to see how it unfolds...

nitro

#12     Sep 1, 2006
  3. Thank you for a voice of reason.

The envy one really gets me. Always cited to me by people who have never even left the US!!!!. Living in the US from a foreign country I've been continually astounded by the gap between the genuinely nice, caring, compassionate people and what is being presented to the world by their government or media. If I were an American I would be truly outraged and blow a gasket. It's such a shame that people (in general) don't seem understand or care what their country is doing and what the rest of the world thinks about them.

TNG

#13     Sep 1, 2006
  4. maybe terrorism and the GWOT are largely just marketing for the defense industry. or dick and bush just got real lucky on their investments, total coincidence in light of pnac and everything else. i'd be less critical if the conflicts of interest weren't so glaring

i don't mind being considered a disgrace

#14     Sep 1, 2006
  5. As someone who has traveled the globe(North Africa and the Gulf region included) I feel safe saying. The world does not hate America...they LOVE us. And most rational humans I have had the pleasure of speaking with and meeting realize how generous we are to the less fortunate.

Media loves the story though....so there it is. Control the media...

IMO, the real "ugly Americans" are the ignorant ones who actually believe that drivel. Get out and go see for yourself if you dont believe me.

#15     Sep 1, 2006
  6. Quite a lot of the world hates Bush and his policies.

The problem is that people confuse our country, with our temporary leadership. They really are not synonymous. I say temporary, because all administrations are just that, despite the damage that may be done during that regime.

When they say they hate America, they are saying they hate the things that leadership does...

I am very opposed to much of what Bush has done, but it never means that I hate America. That fact that I love America is why what Bush has done bothers me so much, and I think that is the feeling of many in this country, and around the world.

#16     Sep 1, 2006
  7. its a disgrace cause as far as i've been able to observe (9/11, WTC7 etc conspiracy shite) its baseless (as in 'not an ounce of fucking evidence'... in every complex investigation there are going to be some mistakes made, then hopefully corrected but not always... criminals don't get out of their way to make things easy for investigators u know...) politically-minded spin, spun around without any respect whatsoever for the guys who have fallen, the bereaved, nor for those whose job and honour it is to fall for the country and whose neck is on the line every single day somewhere far from your cosy pad and fave mall... sorry to be old-fashioned...

#17     Sep 1, 2006
  8. there are plenty of conflicting pieces of information surrounding 911 and lots of unanswered q's, as well as imo fairly indicting relationships between the profiteers and the decision makers

personally i was blocks away from 911, and actually witnessed the collapse of wtc7 just up the street on my bike that afternoon. my fam have been combat leaders and vets going back as many generations as i can track, and it goes a lot deeper than that. i have not served but did grow up traveling in a military fam. if anything, i am deeply sympathetic to the sacrifices of the people who fight war vs those who profit from it

#18     Sep 1, 2006
  9. I think what you don't understand is the underlying motive for these conspiracy theories.

It has to do with the trust level of our current government, or should I say distrust.

This Bush administration has been one of the most secretive ever, even before 9/11. They have benefited politically like no other administration as a result of 9/11. The military industrial complex has benefited, so have oil companies.

Put motive, and opportunity together, and you can find data to make a case, especially when the facts are often murky, or hidden. When you see the lack of transparency in this administration, the power grabs, the war in Iraq, the denouncing of any questions as treasonous or unAmerican, etc....it is easy to question what is actually going on.

#19     Sep 1, 2006
  10. agree with that, i do understand, and the distrust is totally deserved, and its not just the Americans who distrust the Bush admin as you know... however... everybody loses when high standards of proof are no longer upheld / deemed important...

let me say this... i do actually believe that most of the people we are talking about are 100% sincere in their intentions and in their actions (except for a few v.powerful maniacs at the head of the petro-military-arms dealer complex, usually unknown to the public)... however 'sincere' doesn't equate 'right'...

i don't believe they are always 'wrong' either... e.g. Saddam was a v.serious risk, so was Khadaffi... no matter how overstated this risk appeared to have been in hindsight... and how poorly managed the 'PR'...
    but in any event, it would be a terrible mistake not to stand firm in Irak now... just my opinion of course...

but clearly the world does not hate americans... not even the muslim world does...

#20     Sep 3, 2006