Why the North may really hate the South

Discussion in 'Politics' started by drmarkan, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Artist Name- Rascal Flatts
    Song lyrics- Backwards

I was sittin' on a bar stool
    In a barbeque joint in Tennessee
    When this ole boy walked in
    And he sat right down next to me
    I could tell he'd been through some hard times
    There were tear stains on his old shirt and he said-
    "Ya wanna know what ya get when you play a country song backwards?"

Chorus:
    Ya get your house back-
    Ya get your dog back
    Ya get your best friend Jack back
    Ya get your truck back-
    Ya get your hair back
    Ya get your first and second wives back
    Your front porch swing, your pretty little thing
    Your bling bling bling
    And a diamond ring
    You get your farm and the barn
    And the b oat and the Harley
    First night in jail with Charlie
    It sounds a little crazy,
    A little scattered and absurd
    But that's what you get when you play a country song backwards

Well, I never heard it said quite like that
    It hit me in the face
    'Cause that's where I'm at
    I almost fell flat on the floor-
    He said
    "Wait a minute, that's not all there's even more"

Chorus:
    Ya get your mind back,
    Your nerves back
    Your first heart attack back
    You get your pride back,
    Get your life back
    You get your first real love back
    You get your big screen TV
    A DVD and a washing machine
    You get the pond and the lawn
    The bail and the mower
    You get to back where you don't know her
    It sounds a little crazy,
    A little scattered and absurd
    But that's what you get when you play a country song backwards

We sat there and shot the bull
    About how it would be
    If we could turn it all around
    And change this C-R-A-P

#51     Jul 28, 2006
  2. maybe you can talk to a professional and work through these southern pride issues

you're not the only one, i know of many southerners stuck there too

#52     Jul 28, 2006
  3. pattersb

pattersb Guest

north eastern liberals think the south is filled with nothing but jesus freaks.

I'm from and currently in the North (Midwest specifically), I don't hate the south...

I tend to like southerns, plain spoken. Complete opposite of your typical north-eastern elitist pricks.

#53     Jul 28, 2006
  4. there are misguided elitists everywhere, including the south. judgemental attitudes and a tendency to generalize are ubiquitous too

i think that might be part of the north/south jesus chasm, a belief from the north that it's presumptuous of anyone to attempt to assert their values/beliefs on others. it implies a sort of judgementalism that's really offensive, especially to new yorkers who generally identify with the celebration and acceptance of cultural differences, not the imposition of them on each other. i realize this isn't representative of most of the country

#54     Jul 28, 2006
  5. pattersb

pattersb Guest

I agree with you here, to a certain degree. There IS such a thing as morality.

But the point is taken, it can be offensive when someone insists that you adopt their opinions of what is and what is not moral. (Yes, admittedly Christians are oftens times very guilty of this ... and it's unfortunate the grosses examples are often the most "news worthy".)

As for the moral debates raging today, it's a tricky question. It's unwise to legislate morality, but in not taking a stand you effectively are....

(The rudest encounters I've had involved easterners, probably not enough data to make a sweeping generalization across the entire region)

As always, All I know is I know nothing ...

#55     Jul 28, 2006
  6. I would like to know what your thoughts are on the fact that segregation was created by Northern industrialists in the South. Many people from the North did not support the reconstruction period and kept segregated box cars for passengers on their trains. They then brought this practice to the South. When it was challenged by Homer Plessy, the Supreme Court said the train company's could have seperate, but equal conditions. The creation of Jim Crowe laws was born.

Of course, you probably can't see that the issue was not purely related to the South. This is the reason why I brought this thread up. The hatred of the North towards the South goes beyond issues of racism. It has to do with the fact that they believe they are superior to the South. They do not like the fact that they have no influence down there anymore.

#56     Jul 28, 2006
  7. The issue include racism, bigotry, dumbass people who can't speak English properly, people who support Bush (red states) and the formulating of ideas to be pushed on the entire country through the political process on the basis of what fundamentalist Christians leadership dictates.

#57     Jul 28, 2006
  8. I knew you wouldn't answer my question. Why do I even bother. I'm done with you.

#58     Jul 28, 2006
  9. Be gone!

That you would compare segregation to slavery clearly shows your ineptitude.

#59     Jul 28, 2006
  10. Naw there was nothing standing between Gettysburg and Washington, if the South had won Gettysburg it would have been over. And the reason the South lost it's first major battle was because they lost their greatest General in the last major battle a few weeks before. It is ironic how he was the most reverent, righteous man on either side and served as God's hand to scare the north into becoming desperate and "freeing" the slaves. Then once he had accomplished that he was taken. Go figure.

#60     Jul 28, 2006