Why the need to post PnL, real-time calls, etc?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by romik, Sep 24, 2006.

1. For anyone who has ever come to me claiming that I am a "liar" I have always told them to contact the firm I work for and inquire about my results. So far no one has.

I have been posting my P&L for two years now, and several of the posters actually work with me and have corraborated results.

I think, for the most part, all the regular posters on that thread post real numbers. With the exception of one person recently, the thread is pretty solid.

#41     Sep 26, 2006
  2. I would say this is true most of the time. I also trade the same stocks everyday. If I traded different stuff everyday, I would gladly share. But I am protective of my go to guys for fear that they may change.

#42     Sep 26, 2006
  3. <i>"I prefer not to post my #'s out of fear that it will effect my trading..."</i>

There is great value in holding oneself accountable to a performance board, no question about it. I can see several benefits to outside self-discipline like that.

In my case, I agree with the thought JORGE shared. Certain sessions by the afternoon I'll be up something like +$2,000 realized gain, and risk half or all on a stop when something "high-odds" sets up for entry past 2:00pm or even 3:00pm EST.

About half of those trades stop out for loss, and I walk away with $1,000 or $0 for the day. The other half work as expected, and I walk away with +$6,000 to +$10,000 instead.

If I were posting results to a board, I'd be very tempted to stop trading at +$2,000 (or whatever) and not trade my own personal style of controlled aggression. I wonder if there are any other P&L posters who cease early at $500 per day when one more afternoon trade into the close might have yielded far more?

One of those rhetorical questions that probably cannot be answered in hindsight.

#43     Sep 26, 2006
  4. romik

romik

I would sit at my desk from 9.30-4.00 like a hen on eggs, hope that clarifies it from my side :)

#44     Sep 26, 2006
  5. 4re

4re

Once I get my money I do just sit there like a hen on eggs. I don't mind leaving money on the table as long as I steak on my table.

#45     Sep 26, 2006
  6. [QUOTE I wonder if there are any other P&L posters who cease early at $500 per day when one more afternoon trade into the close might have yielded far more?

One of those rhetorical questions that probably cannot be answered in hindsight. [/B][/QUOTE]

I seldom trade the afternoon as I just find the moves much harder to predict compared to the morning. Probably just a personal bias.

#46     Sep 26, 2006
  7. Im not calling anyone a liar, but the bottomline is, when it comes to money, I dont trust guys. If someone says they make xxx amount or they were able to pull down xxx amount. I dont challenge them, I smile and nod my head knowing that this person may not be telling me the truth.

I've been a guy my whole life, spent time around lots of them...I dont trust guys. You might be the finest guy in the world, but I wont trust you until I have spent some time around you (in-person) and you have proven yourself to me on multiple occasions.

In any event, whatever you make off of a trade is not my business. I like to concentrate on my own business versus someone else's. Im happy for you if you can turn a buck, I shake your hand and hope you turn more, but Im not impressed and I dont care because its not really my business. In addition, I dont find someone on a message board to be believable until I have at least met them in-person.

#47     Sep 26, 2006
  8. <b>Eagle</b>, I'm just curious: do you trust women more than men or the same to be truthful? Why/why not?

#48     Sep 26, 2006
  9. First, I wish to point out that my numbers are not nearly as impressive as some of those posted in the P & L thread. Some of the reported numbers truly give me pause, in either amount, consistency or both. Therefore, you may wish to dismiss my opinion out of hand. However, I find the idea of exchanging earnings numbers with anyone other than those people who need to see them, as vaguely akin to a bunch of fat, loud, cigar-chomping self-satisfied businessmen wearing diamond pinky rings, standing around in a circle and fishing into their pockets to see who has the largest wad of bills folded in a gold money clip. It is just a disturbing, periodic, fleeting impression that I cannot seem to dismiss.

#49     Sep 26, 2006
  10. Thats a difficult question to answer.

I have not had as many trust issues with women in my life then men. However, I do not transact much business with women. In fact, I cant remember the last time I dealt with a woman in a responsible position. Of course, I have dealt with office staff who were women, but not really a management type.

My experience with women comes more from the social setting. In those settings, I am usually the one that cant be trusted;)

#50     Sep 26, 2006