Why the need to post PnL, real-time calls, etc?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by romik, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Every year since around 2002 I think.

Current year: http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=61328

Just the basic "Opening Only" strategy that we, as a firm, enter around 35million shares each morning...about 15% of all the money that Bright traders make is on the opening play.

FWIW,

Don

#21     Sep 26, 2006
  2. "My dream has always been to leave something behind me when I am gone, so far I have failed in that, I failed to invent the hoover, don't understand the mechanics of a kettle...will always fail at getting even a coffee making job at NASA."

You can pass on your wealth and knowledge to the next person in your family. Train your son or daughter to do the right thing. When you pass away, then transfer your wealth over to them so they can run with the ball. Make sure that they also have the proper knowledge, discipline and (above all) drive.

There are many other people behind the Warren Buffets, the Donald Trumps and the Bill Gates. However, you never hear about these other people that helped them get to where they are. In my eyes, those people are just as important (if not more).

You say that you didnt leave your mark? I say that your wrong. Make as much wealth as you can and pass it on to someone else. Sure, maybe you wont invent something or move the markets, but you can pass it on to someone else who can.

#22     Sep 26, 2006
  3. "No doubt that some people scanning ET threads and coming across posters willing to post their PnL and/or real-time trades are wondering - WHY? What is the purpose? Do they wish to boost their ego or do they want to gain respect of a virtual audience or something else?"

First, you have to ask yourself. How many guys have you come across in your life that really tell the truth? I have found that when it comes to either money or women, guys like to fib. Some guys will not only fib, but completely fabricate stories for their own personal reasons. Maybe they have some mental issues and need the attention that others in the public wont give them. Maybe they believe they can manipulate the stock with a few message posts.

Second, do you really and truly care? Their situation doesnt effect you. You have to concentrate on your own situation and not get involved in theirs. I dont care about someone (who I dont know) that made a bunch of money. I am only concentrated on my own situation.

Third, trading/investing in the market is a business above all and you must act in a professional manner when you engage in this business. These messages are high school pranks in comparison. You should not practice this yourself or respond to such messages. If you do, then you are violating the business rule. If you were the executive at a company, would you post performance stats up on a message board? The obvious answer is no. Its not professional.

The moral of the story is to ignore these messages. Do not reply or respond to them. If the poster gets no attention, then they will simply go away. If you respond in any manner, then you will be giving these posters the attention they want.

Lastly, if you choose to ignore my advice and post up a pnl for whatever reason. Upload a trade ticket for all to see. Dont simply type numbers. Show us the ticket.

#23     Sep 26, 2006
  4. Why should I have to show you what stocks I trade? Thats my own personal business. The P&L thread is to show P&L and nothing more. If you choose to learn more about the poster you can send them a PM and MAYBE they will share with you what stocks they trade. If you dont like the thread, you can simply not look at it. Its that simple.

#24     Sep 26, 2006
  5. romik

romik

Do I assume that most simply can not tell the difference? Opinions welcome, don't be shy.

#25     Sep 26, 2006
  6. Heck Romik, I cannot tell the difference at all. My knowledge of photoshop, etc is zilch. It all looks legit to me, I would never give questioning such images a second thought.

#26     Sep 26, 2006
  7. romik

romik

Thank you Austin, any more opinions? Any PS masters out there?

#27     Sep 26, 2006
  8. 4re

4re

Well I am not very smart or anything but Sim101 tells me something.

#28     Sep 26, 2006
  9. romik

romik

What does it tell you? :)

#29     Sep 26, 2006
  10. "Why should I have to show you what stocks I trade? Thats my own personal business. The P&L thread is to show P&L and nothing more. If you choose to learn more about the poster you can send them a PM and MAYBE they will share with you what stocks they trade. If you dont like the thread, you can simply not look at it. Its that simple."

Im saying that its not professional to disclose such details at all.

However, if the decision was made to make such a post for whatever reason, I believe a real trade ticket will demonstrate the sincerity and honesty behind the post. There is simply too many guys just making things up.

#30     Sep 26, 2006