why THE HELL is it so easy to do the wrong thing...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Gordon Gekko, Nov 16, 2002.

1. This is exactly the right answer.

Plain and simply, humans are not "hardwired" to be good traders. As many here no doubt know, to be a good trader requires that one do the uncomfortable.

Traders must be able to step into the abyss with relative ease and on a nanoseconds notice. But as is obvious this is an incredibly unnatural act. However it can be learned.

I've been trading since the mid-80’s and I still make the same mistakes that I made when I was a rookie the difference now is that I recognize it faster and correct it quicker.

So don't despair, it can be done. But YOU must find a winning way, then iterate, iterate, iterate.......... to train yourself to go against yourself.

You must teach yourself to go against millions of years of genetic imprinting of the hunter/gatherer and the fight or flight response. This is no small feat, right? This sort of built-in autonomous behaviour as worked for all of human history but now, for this endeavor, it's wrong.

You see now why "old salt traders" just roll up their eyes at youngsters who pontificate on the "fundamental truths of trading." :)

Good Luck!
    Dr. Zhivodka

Always remember that when Wine, Women and Song get you down.......give up singing. :cool:

#41     Nov 16, 2002
  2. nkhoi

nkhoi

#42     Nov 16, 2002
  3. nu-guy

nu-guy

GG,
    Don't let my alias fool you. I've been through it. Every trader has a stubborn resistance point of knowing when he/she is ready for a time-out and turn his/her trading around.

GG, trading is like driving a car. If you're a calm normal driver you'll go with the flow of traffic and get to your destination safely.
    On the other hand, if you're driving under some stress(late for work, had an argument with a love one, etc,), you're probably going to cause an accident or get a ticket. Your driving will suck because you'll start to run stop lights, cut people off, speeding, etc,. In other words, you're not paying attention on the driving because the stresses in your life are blurring your ability to drive safely vs recklessly.
    Fellow trader, I think your turning point for good trading improvement is closer than you think. I hope this little analogy, makes sense to you.

nu-guy

#43     Nov 16, 2002
  4. nitro

nitro

Yes, I have suspected as much for a while that this is non other than Trader-RX, Protrader1, FPC, Katrina Johns, Randy Nutts, etc, etc, etc. I suspect others as well...He even talks to himself as different posters...

The guy literally lives on this board and probably has well over 15000 posts as different handles.

nitro

#44     Nov 16, 2002
  5. Yeah, I use wide stops when I want to catch bigger moves. The stops are 6 pts away from my entry, but my targets are 9 pts away, so I will make money if only they get hit more frequently than the stops. That's what happens.

I use some system to do that, the signals it gives are unfrequent, but this month the system is up 22 ES pts and with some discretionary approach that I am going to adopt from now on, it could have been up even 28 pts. It is up with 11 trades, 7 winners, 4 losers. Last month it produced 126 pts, but it was an exceptionally good month. I did not trade the system then.

I think GG simply does not have any strategy, he is just hoping that what he does will bring him success. I doubt he will succeed this way.

He needs to take a break and re-evaluate what he has been doing and start from scratch.

#45     Nov 16, 2002
  6. take a look at that thread, and see whether you can quantify your specific problem scenarios

you evidently seem complex enough to be able to quantify, articulate and convey your frustration in terms that others can synpathize with, or associate with, or begin to spark their concerns with. After all, this is a discussion panel, not a forum for legal grips against why traders leave one operation and prefer another environment.

Your broker, your trading execution software platform, your computer (lacking sufficient power, design or strength) might be the problem also.

You ARE describing this phenominon of "selling order flow" and "exposing netted positions" and "scalping against the advantage".

#46     Nov 16, 2002
  7. P. Niss

P. Niss

YOU, Mr. Coil, have absolutely no credentials here in this forum. You can't produce a single winning day yet you have the unmitigated balls to ADVISE someone on the topic of trading successfully? Thanks for making my afternoon interesting.

Paul Niss

#47     Nov 16, 2002
  8. Babak

Babak

That has got to be one of the most asinine things I've read on ET. Sorry GG but you just may be beyond help.

#48     Nov 16, 2002
  9. nitro!

what! i am none of those nicknames! all my posts are honest. baron probably won't do it, but even if it's against ET policy, he can go ahead and say if i am any of those people. i assure you, i am not.

as for the guy who said i should get rid of my gordon gekko name because i'm not really gordon gekko. WHAT?!?! my nickname is just that, a nickname. of course i'm not gordon gekko. my name on here means nothing to me. some people are reading into it too much.

#49     Nov 16, 2002
  10. I can't believe it... encouraging words on ET! I thought they had been declared a TOU violation...

I'm not sure I can quite agree with them, unfortunately, but I could be wrong - count me as agnostic, as I don't presume the ability to judge another human being on the basis of a few (or even many) message board posts. Still, GG seems like such an excitable fella, I'm not sure that any trading approach that allows too much discretion and reflection would work for him at this stage. He also seems to be prone to making huge assumptions and extrapolating on them - going off half-cocked, as it were - the kind of stuff that he might need a real mentor to get through. I know it's been suggested to him before, but it doesn't look like he's taken the suggestion to heart.

Or maybe if he can find some firm where rapid-fire liquidity scalping is being successfully practiced - something virtually mechanical that would keep him constantly busy, constantly in and out. There'd always be the danger that he'd blow, but maybe he'd calm down after experiencing some success, or even some breaking even... Does such a place and such a practice exist? There are a few post-ers here who seem to say so. Believe me, there are times, when my brain begins to hurt and my emotions get pretty raw, that I wouldn't mind doing something like that.

#50     Nov 16, 2002