Why the gap down and falling price today?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by 1a2b3cppp, Jun 1, 2012.

1. I hope this is trolling at its finest.

#11     Jun 1, 2012
  2. Well, regardless of whether that's true, the entire question is a giant waste of time.

Also, clearly the OP isn't too concerned with the answer since he said he was buying more anyway. So, I took my response as seriously as the question was posed.

#12     Jun 1, 2012
  3. Cause/effect are sequential. If only one of B,C,D can result from A then whichever one A causes will be simultaneous with the absence of the others. If B, the absences of C and D are merely coincidental with the presence of B but do not cause B.

#13     Jun 1, 2012
  4. Fair enough. Peace.

#14     Jun 1, 2012
  5. If I say "Yes, there was a way to predict this gap", how would that help you? Even if I know it, I am not going to share it with you and if I am lying, I may end up sending you on a wild goose chase looking for some non-existent gap-predicting method.

If you think gaps are predictable, find a way to predict them. If you think they might be predictable, find a way to either confirm or deny that suspicion.

#15     Jun 1, 2012
  6. S2007S

S2007S

SPX is headed below 1100, I said this weeks ago and will stick to this prediction. I think it might even go below 1000, but for now 1100 is coming.

This is a market where you have to sell the rallies and buy the dips.

#16     Jun 1, 2012
  7. :) :eek: :confused:

#17     Jun 1, 2012
  8. I don't know if anything is predictable. All I know is I can't predict where price is going.

I've never met anyone else who could, either, although I have met a lot of people who post after the fact charts with vague descriptions trying to make it sound like they predicted the movement correctly all along. I figure if anyone can predict movement they are making bank in their home office rather than posting on forums.

After all, I scale into positions very slowly, sometimes in both directions. If I could predict direction I would just go all in in the correct direction and make significantly more money.

I've never paid much attention to the news because all the people I see trying to predict price direction based on news or economic factors seem to be about as successful as the people who try to do it based on TA indicators (ie. not successful).

But one thing I have noticed is that everytime something seemingly "random" happens, such as a gap down out of nowhere and the price continuing to drop for the rest of the day, there always seems to be a news-based reason for it (even if that reason is given after the fact). That's why I made this thread. To me, it's all random, but I figured maybe Obama said or did something, or something happened with some other country that the US does business with, or some report was released that wasn't optimistic, etc.

#18     Jun 1, 2012
  9. I'm more surprised there wasn't another rumor of China buying Spanish bonds, ECB restarting SMP, or QE3 coming very soon. All quiet on that front.

#19     Jun 1, 2012
  10. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Personally, I was waiting for the "they got Osama Bin Laden" rumor to make the rounds. I mean, I know they got him and all, but Wall St. is desperate.

#20     Jun 1, 2012