Why The **** Didn't You Buy TSLA Puts?

Discussion in 'Options' started by zghorner, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Magic

Magic

Nice to hear from a veteran. I've only been actively trading a decent block of capital for 1.5 years now. This is the first time I've seen something I know enough to understand is blatantly wrong and had some clue of what to do about it. Was hard to really press the edge amidst the volatility and uncertainty. Hope there's more to come like this.

#21     Feb 7, 2020
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

Too late, but I am OK, thanks for asking.

[​IMG]

#22     Feb 7, 2020
    zghorner and Overnight like this.
  3. Times

Times

Puts were extremely expensive, Like you would need the stock to drop hundreds of dollars in a short period of time to break even let alone profit.

I did sell call credit spreads tho which are working out.

Its only seemingly obvious because its hindsight.

#23     Feb 8, 2020
    GuerrillaTrading likes this.
  4. S2007S

S2007S

Puts were priced way toooo high. UnLike the calls which were trading below a dollar that spiked to $10-$20 in a matter of hours/days before tsla made its run to nearly 1000.

#24     Feb 8, 2020
  5. Bekim

Bekim

I did the exact thing, I was about to pull the trigger on a long put spread when it was at 800 and I chickened out.

#25     Feb 8, 2020
  6. SanMiguel

SanMiguel

Out of interest what was the credit spread you used?
    I assume this is buying a put and pairing it with a credit spread above the highs?

#26     Feb 8, 2020
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

I am usually early, so I sold the 925 calls and bought the 930 calls. No puts involved.

#27     Feb 8, 2020
  8. Times

Times

what expiration? and why did you choose that expiration if you dont mind

#28     Feb 9, 2020
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

Friday, the closest. I figured even if I am wrong with the exact timing, the top had to be really close. Also I tend to think I can leg out of a vertical if it goes against me.

#29     Feb 9, 2020
    Times likes this.
  10. qwerty11

qwerty11

1 important difference with other recent "big shorts" (like TLRY, Beyond, etc.) is that borrowing costs for TSLA are almost 0. That is a mayor advantage (also the knowledge that this aspect will not push up the stock further)...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    #30     Feb 9, 2020