why the big drop in the S&P after hours??

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Robert Weinstein, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Mike777

Mike777

don't forget the jobs report which will be used as an excuse to hype it up or down or whatever suits.

#21     Jun 6, 2002
  2. Rigel

Rigel

And jobs are a lagging indicator.
    First the market and the economy go up, then employment.

#22     Jun 6, 2002
  3. Good post, and your ideas are right on target but where were you two hours ago?:)

#23     Jun 6, 2002
  4. lundy

lundy

MSKL, it just occurred to me that if the stocks were a better deal than the futures, you could have shorted the NQ futures and bought the main NDX stocks for zero risk. You would have made guaranteed money through that spread. Good for you if you did that.

If the spread profit wouldn't be enough to cover the costs, then buying stocks instead of futures wouldn't have been worth it.

But if it really was worth it, and you didn't do the spread, I can only say welcome to the dopey club.

edit: wow i just made senior

#24     Jun 6, 2002
  5. chisox

chisox Guest

Im wondering which stocks he bought because with the exception of a few, there wasnt much of a bounce, how bout them bottom pickers:)

#25     Jun 7, 2002
  6. lundy

lundy

buying the stocks instead of futures wouldn't have given you the opportunity to sell when the futures peaked @ 4 am this morning.

#26     Jun 7, 2002
  7. mskl

mskl

@ 4AM the spreads in stock are too wide.

Although I did buy some QQQ's at 27.85 vs selling futures at 1137.50 around that time.

Last night I bought QQQ's at 27.85-90 against selling futures at 1129.

i didn't buy too much stock last night (about 8 futures worth). No INTC or BGEN - so I'm actually doing quite well - thanks!!

From last night, I'm up on several stocks - KLAC, NVLS, SEBL, PMCS, DELL, QCOM and VRTS - small losses on others - big profits in futures

Just bought my last two futures at 1113.50 as they finally came down to FV (cash trading at 1112)

#27     Jun 7, 2002
  8. rmodasia

rmodasia

mskl

where can you see cash index prices out of hours?

thanks

#28     Jun 7, 2002
  9. mskl

mskl

http://dynamic.nasdaq.com/asp/pmi.asp

I don't use this source but this is an easy one to find.

#29     Jun 7, 2002