"Why Technical Analysis is Nonsense"; Views?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Trend Following, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Can any approach that mines old data and extrapolates inefficiencies can be considered TA? The study of price action is TA... that what you guys dont get. TA is not simply a bunch of lagging indicators canned and sold the herd. It is much more

What do quants do if its not mining price data looking for an edge? What do technicians do if it is not mining price data looking for an edge?

#41     Jan 13, 2008
  2. You must have loved the 1990s, when all that Derrida nonsense was making the rounds in American universities. You might as well have taken this straight from the pages of Deconstruction 101, with all that 'step back and see this as an observer'.

It's a linguistic trick (or an attempt at one, it actually isn't very good) to suggest that TA has value except as a predictor. I don't use TA to predict anything.

I notice you backed off your claim that TA isn't math. That canard would have been pretty tough to maintain. Damn the internet and the goddamn search function, right? :)

Everything you posted is pure assertion. Sorry, surf, but that's the fact. The reality is that there are thousands of traders using TA on a daily basis and taking consistent money out of the markets. I agree wholeheartedly with the guy above who said that those who run TA down are the ones that couldn't make a go of it themselves.

Exactly the same thing with daytrading. We get these threads that claim 'It's impossible to make money in daytrading and I've heard rumours of the statistics to prove it'. Meanwhile, successful daytraders are laughing all the way to the bank.

#42     Jan 13, 2008
  3. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

of course i think this is the case, this is what i live for, and the more obscure or forgotten the better. mb

#43     Jan 13, 2008
  4. Think you missed my point. I was defending your comparision of TA-Quantative approach that marketsurfer pointed out on your site. :D

Agree 100%...

#44     Jan 13, 2008
  5. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

no i knew you were agreeing i just confirmed it! hell i could make studying the entrails patterns of worms work for me i would try and write some tracking software. ;)

mb

ps and yea damm those search engines and the people who know how to use them ouch...

#45     Jan 13, 2008
  6. Management fees.

#46     Jan 13, 2008
  7. samus

samus

TA is nothing more than an edge... the odds that price has a higher probability to move in a certain direction. Thats all it is... nothing more. Trade your edge with predefined risk. If the trade doesn't work based on your predefined risk, then close the freaking position and wait for the next edge. Trading is nothing more than a pattern recognition numbers game. Vegas operates on the same principle... thats why they're swimming in cash. The games have an edge in their favor so they win in the long run. Some of you guys make this way too hard than it needs to be.

#47     Jan 13, 2008
  8. What is that assertion, "the little man simply provides liquidity for the real money". Here's an idea: the big boys use TA to get the best entries because they know where the 'liquidity' is lurking. Jesus, just look at the balance sheets of the leviathons, I hate the fact but they will always be in control, power will always be in control, the rest are simply 'liquidity'. Not that you can't exploit the set up but as a uniform 'force' us small idividual players will, as a group, lose out.

#48     Jan 13, 2008
  9. Quote from powerfade:
    <b>You must have loved the 1990s, when all that Derrida nonsense was making the rounds in American universities. You might as well have taken this straight from the pages of Deconstruction 101, with all that 'step back and see this as an observer'.</b>

clever, but im just stating facts. how to observe a process 101.

<b>It's a linguistic trick (or an attempt at one, it actually isn't very good) to suggest that TA has value except as a predictor. I don't use TA to predict anything.</b>

then why use it? if you are not predicting the odds are greater of a continuation move in the same direction after entry--what good is TA? furthermore, if you flip a coin 10 times and it comes up heads 10 times--- would you call this a heads trend? what would it look like on a chart?? im not talking about analysis here, but rather hard core trading, entry/exit---- TA does have value as an illustrative tool.

<b>I notice you backed off your claim that TA isn't math. That canard would have been pretty tough to maintain. Damn the internet and the goddamn search function, right? :)</b>

i have not backed off. everything can be shown to be math in some aspect---art and music are math--- art and music are good analogies to TA--subjective, personally driven experiences without testable qualities.

<b>Everything you posted is pure assertion. Sorry, surf, but that's the fact. The reality is that there are thousands of traders using TA on a daily basis and taking consistent money out of the markets. I agree wholeheartedly with the guy above who said that those who run TA down are the ones that couldn't make a go of it themselves.</b>

this is simply not true. there are not 1000's of traders using TA succesfully all the time. there are 1000's of traders using TA who win some and lose some--with the difference being money management, speed, informational advantage, and specialized knowledge of the instrument being traded. furthermore, they are not taking money out of the market--they are taking money from other traders who OBVIOUSLY interpreted the SAME DATA in the OPPOSITE MANNER--- how can this be???

<b>Exactly the same thing with daytrading. We get these threads that claim 'It's impossible to make money in daytrading and I've heard rumours of the statistics to prove it'. Meanwhile, successful daytraders are laughing all the way to the bank.</b>

yes, ofcourse they exist--- but the vast majority use other methods than TA. why don't prop firms teach TA as a primary method of entering trades? This question shoud answer your question.

surf

#49     Jan 13, 2008
  10. Perhaps orthadox TA is simply a way of pinpointing 'dark pools'. Our faith should be heterodox not orthodox otherwise we are the exploited masses. The gullible who believe that if we are good and respectful we will be rewarded. In this way TA can be a crutch like religion. Without sounding like Marx, those in authority and those who WIELD the power pull us by the nose to the green pastures where we are then summarily slaughtered.

#50     Jan 13, 2008