Why some traders are bitching about the lack of volatility?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Daal, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Buzzed

Buzzed

I have a question. Please note that I have never traded before.

If volatility becomes too low for someone to trade options, then why not switch to stocks?

#31     Jan 18, 2010
  2. gkishot

gkishot

Which stocks?

#32     Jan 18, 2010
  3. Indeed. It's a place where the whole world is one big replication trade. Endless liquidity thrown at smaller and smaller yields. Low to high vol regime shifts become increasingly painful if not deadly. Deja vu?

#33     Jan 18, 2010
  4. Let me fast forward this thread to the end.... LTCM. Your welcome.

#34     Jan 19, 2010
  5. Daal

Daal

Tons of hedge funds blew up with VIX at 80, your point is?

#35     Jan 19, 2010
  6. Agreed to the first part: what lack of volatility? Sure it's thin out there but that's where the volatility is coming from. And earnings season hasn't even started in earnest yet.

Disagreed to the second part: You don't trade size for pennies in this market; you need a correct opinion and a decent pair to take the automation head-on.

#36     Jan 19, 2010
  7. The reason why there's so many people complaining about a lack of volatility is because they are dumbass losers who trade a moving average cross-over on a 5min chart.

#37     Jan 19, 2010

8. volatility does nto concern me as much as liquidity, but actually you have no idea what it means to be a scalper, talk to some of the floor traders if u know any

#38     Jan 19, 2010
  9. there are literally no pullbacks in this market. it is pure ground and pound. there used to be deep pullbacks but now the market always dies at the high and then after a while grinds higher.

for individual stocks, low volume combined with sub pennying makes trading a lot more difficult. like someone mentioned, you don't get filled unless the whole level goes through.

#39     Jan 19, 2010
  10. BSAM

BSAM

:p GOSH-0-MIGHTY THIS PLACE IS A HOOT!:p

#40     Jan 19, 2010