Why Some Scientists Embrace the 'Multiverse

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jem, Jul 8, 2013.

1. piezoe

piezoe

"Do you understand the implications of constants tuned to over 100 decimal places or the universe(s) cease to exist?"

Actually, to tell you the truth, Jem, I haven't a clue what you are talking about. Sounds like religious mumbo jumbo to me. The next thing I suppose you will do is eviscerate some chickens and interpret for us what their guts mean.

#51     Jul 12, 2013
  2. jem

jem

Is this jewish / ( I think) atheist and the co founder of string theory...
    confusing religion with science when he explains the 4 possible explanations for the incredible fine tuning here?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2cT4zZIHR3s?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#52     Jul 13, 2013
  3. pspr

pspr

It's a fundamental lack of understanding of science, scientific method and elementary statistics that makes you obfuscate with such ridiculous comments, pie.

As a teacher, which subjects did you teach and at what grade level?

#53     Jul 13, 2013
  4. piezoe

piezoe

No attempt to obfuscate, merely a straight forward rejection of the idea of "intelligent design" as having nothing of value to offer more then say reading chicken entrails.

In the past, at various times, I have worked, both as a consultant and as an employee, for corporations, and universities. I also was a consultant to the NIH for a number of years. Except for the later role, I have never worked directly for the U.S. Government, however I have worked for State governments.

#54     Jul 13, 2013
  5. I have watched your video a couple of times Jem and I've also watched and read some other stuff by the same man. I think my point is valid, the public push for ID in schools is from the Christian right and it's about Jesus not science.

#55     Jul 13, 2013
  6. jem

jem

a. So lets break it down... many of the worlds top scientists in relevant fields say the universe is fine tuned or they say one must believe there almost infinite universes.

b. In other threads I have shown that evolution may explain how life evolved but that there is no science which shows that life evolved from non life here on earth. (this is scientific fact.) some scientists i the field say there was not enough time for life to evolve by random chance and it had to be pre programmed.

ID seems to now be with a specific Christian group. But, in the very first post on this thread... you can see Pragers last sentence wanted to illustrate the differencer.

"To posit the existence of a Creator requires only reason. To posit the existence of a good God requires faith"

I would also add to posit the existence of a multiverse takes faith.
    To posit random chance created our one universe is 1950s thought.

#56     Jul 13, 2013
  7. So, What if the ID push was coming from a tribe of Africans who worshiped a water buffalo?

Would this render the idea into a lie as well?

What if it were coming from the Jews, the Muslims, or the Taoist ?

Would this still make it a lie?

Is there any group that this idea can come from, other than outright atheists, which might give it some sort of validity?

If the answer to any one of these questions is no, then perhaps it is your own closed mind and heart you should be looking into, rather than some mumbo jumbo on an internet forum.

#57     Jul 13, 2013
  8. nitro

nitro

#3, otherwise known as The Anthropic Principle, is for me intimately tied with #4, and is likely the right answer.

#58     Jul 14, 2013
  9. Hoof the argument is dishonest. It is a plan for Christians to get Jesus into the classrooms through the backdoor by calling it science. Next step is creationism in the schools.

#59     Jul 14, 2013
  10. jem

jem

you are conflating two separate points.. imo.

You can before the teaching of scienctific truth without wanting religion taught in public schools during science class.

when a kid in science class asks who are what made the universe...

are you teachers going to say... we don't know...
    that is fine with me.

in biology class when a kids ask how did life begin...
    are we going to say we don't know.... or are they going to hear about random chance and primordial goo?

#60     Jul 14, 2013