Why Some Scientists Embrace the 'Multiverse

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jem, Jul 8, 2013.

1. stu

stu

Why don't you think (for once) what would happen to the universe if due to the fundamental laws of physics, the cosmological constant could not be any other value than it is.

#331     Aug 12, 2013
  2. stu

stu

• "There are some things that are quite mysterious in our understanding of nature as we know it now. There is a constant called the "cosmological constant", which if I didn't know anything I would make an estimate of what its magnitude would be just on the basis of guess work from what I know about the laws of nature. The correct value is less than that estimated value by something like 120 orders of magnitude. That looks like some kind of fine tuning. And we don't know. It may be that that number is simply zero, and it's zero for some fundamental reason that we will discover.

And so it isn't fine tuned.

It's also possible that the universe is bigger and more complicated than we had thought, and that what we call the universe, is just part of the universe, and that what we call the laws of nature differ from one part to another, and that we are living in a part of the universe where what we call the laws of nature, including the value of this constant, allow life to appear. In that case we wouldn't imagine that any supernatural agency fine tuned the laws and constants to make us possible, any more that we imagine that a supernatural agency arranged that the Earth had a temperature which allows life. Out there, there are doubtless millions of planets in the galaxy, and we live on one that allows life. That doesn't imply to me that it has been specially arranged to allow life." Steven Weinberg

#332     Aug 12, 2013
  3. jem

jem

you are such a clown.... we have gone over this many times.

That is one of the four explanations discussed by Susskind in the video and even in other videos I have given you.

let me review the possible explanations for why our universes seems so incredibly fine tuned for life.

a. Tuner
    b. Multiverse
    c. Theory of Everything will some day be found which explains why the laws are set the way they are.
    d. impossibly lucky.

#333     Aug 12, 2013
  4. jem

jem

your quotes seems like an old quote predating the discoveries, and the info I have been presenting. .

what is the date of you link.

I suspect this video is far more recent... since Weinberg specifically states the cosmological constant is not zero.....

starts at 3 mins 40 seconds....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HgQBgE_TiHo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#334     Aug 12, 2013

5. I'll repeat. It is not perfection but imperfection that allowed us to be. Randomness. So this theory of yours is simply wrong. Get it?

#335     Aug 12, 2013
  6. jem

jem

When you have proof of almost infinite other universes or you can show a pathway of how randomness can turn non life into life... you can get back to me with some science... til then you have no science showing randomness could have created life from non life or randomness could have tuned the universe for life... got it.

you are living in an ignoranance bubble fc.

#336     Aug 13, 2013
  7. stu

stu

a. Non scientific
    b. scientific
    c. you are such a clown

#337     Aug 13, 2013
  8. stu

stu

Predating what discoveries? Are you trying to suggest at any time in his professional life, Steven Weinberg did not know an expanding universe indicates a non zero cosmological constant? How naive and uninformed you are.

Now why don't you listen properly to that vid starting 3mins 40secs.

He states ..."There's one constant that seems to be fantastically fine tuned..(but) again we're not sure.......(the dark energy, the vacuum energy,) the cosmological constant"

I've emphasized the bits from your own vid that you really should to listen to.

Hope that helps.

#338     Aug 13, 2013
  9. piezoe

piezoe

:D :D :D

#339     Aug 13, 2013