Why So Many Ivy League Fund Managers?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Corso482, Dec 30, 2002.

1. I just want to study economics -- I've always loved Harvard and that entire area. I wonder if there is someone I could contact ... I have an application right here, but it is for undergrad ...

#11     Dec 30, 2002

2. harvard has many "continuing education" type courses that you should be able to enroll in without much preparation. it looks great on your resume' and you never know you may MEET.

surf

#12     Dec 30, 2002
  3. 0008

The conclusion is : for those of us without an IL degree, it is much better to learn how to trade at home than to find a job on the Wall Street. :D

BTW, on average how much could a trader/analyst with 2 years experience earn on those big companys like Goldman? Any guy here has been working on the Wall St but turned to a private trader? I want to hear your experience.

#13     Dec 30, 2002
  4. omcate

omcate

Hi,

It really depends on the contract. For example, one of my friends with an Ivy League degree worked in the proprietory trading group of an investment bank about four years ago. In his first year, he got about $200,000. Considering the fact that he has no real trading experience at that time and the group has been losing money for the whole year, it was not a bad deal at all.

:cool:

#14     Dec 30, 2002
  5. What is the cost for a class at Harvard running these days?

Aphie's Entrance Essay:

Yo college admissions officer. I be wanting to take some of your classes at your Ivy League School. I can count, add, subtract, and subdivide. I be speaking well and like to take notes in class.

Let me into your big brick brain palace so that i may be smarter tomorrow than i be yesterday.

Thank you for looking at this essay -- i know you guys read a lot so I've left out the other 400 words. Peace out.

#15     Dec 30, 2002
  6. Just ask Jack about the spiffs of being an analyst for the investment half of a bank and touting telecomm stocks as STRONG BUYS during 2001.

#16     Dec 30, 2002
  7. 0008

Wow! Your friend could find such employer! He's really lucky! How is your friend now?

#17     Dec 30, 2002
  8. omcate

omcate

Hi,

It is called connection, connection, connection !! The head of the trading group knows a lot of hot shots at Wall Street. My friend started his own company about couple years ago.

His former boss is now eanring a salary of $500,000 plus bonus. There is rumor that he still fails to make a single penny of profit from trading !!

:cool:

#18     Dec 30, 2002
  9. 0008

From where did he get the money? Is he a broker? Or did he work with the guys at Enron?:D

#19     Dec 30, 2002
  10. You guys still haven't answered one question.

Yes, I understand that an ivy league student is more likely to be hired.

Yes, I understand that they have more connections and access to money.

However, in the hedge fund industry none of that matters! The only thing that matters is good, consistent, objective returns.

All of these top performing ivy league managers have made great returns year after year. I'm likely to conclude that there must be some link, therefore, between intelligence and trading, because all the connections and past employers in the world won't make you a good trader.

But there's also the possibility that I'm falling for the representative heuristic, and there are hundreds of ivy managers who are failures.

It's also possible that within the distribution of successful traders, ivy leaguers compose a similar percentage as they do in the general population, and it's just that their connections etc. allowed them to set up huge funds, making them more visible than their less educated peers.

#20     Dec 30, 2002