Why so many amateur traders trade only against the main trend?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by crgarcia, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Great post that reflects the logic that is often used by the "amateurish" trader.

Unfortunately, INSTITUTIONS have a very powerful influence in the market. They have a tendency to push stock prices far beyond anyone's wildest dreams on the upside, and lower than anyone's perception of real value on the downside . . . They tend to control extremely large positions that are not able to be fully bought ( or liquidated ) all in one day. They also can take some time before they fully pull the "trigger" on a stock, or sector, given that in many funds there is a bit of a bureaucracy involved and "trading by committee" philosophy.

As a result, what you feel has already been fully discounted and is now the actual real value of the stock, isn't necessarily so. Right or Wrong, the institutions aren't able to react as quickly as you, or most TRADERS.

As Victor Sperandeo used to say, "Observe What Is Happening . . . and Assume It Will Continue."

I can't tell you how much VALUE is in that one simple motto.

The other is by a former employer of mine, Paul Tudor Jones . . . "The hard trade ( the one where you are terrified to pick up the phone and call your order in ) is the WINNING trade."

:)

#31     Jul 28, 2008
  2. eagle

eagle

They didn't realise that successful trading is not only about successfully pick up top and bottom, but also being able to pick up a small portion of a move. Great chance of success relies on cutting off the greed.

#32     Jul 28, 2008
  3. Stosh

Stosh

Good info, thanks. Probably explains occasional moves in a stock that seem out of sync....like they would have made sense earlier but now right now. I suppose the quick reactions to news are due more to individual traders who don't have to check with anyone before acting......correct?

#33     Jul 28, 2008