Why so many amateur traders trade only against the main trend?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by crgarcia, Jul 12, 2008.

1. kut2k2

kut2k2

Without knowing your testing period or your money management method, there's no way for someone else to evaluate your results. But most significantly, why did you settle on the parameters 50 and 100?

This I do know: the market is constantly changing, so both you and your trading tools need to be adaptive to keep up.

#11     Jul 12, 2008
  2. I've actually tested many parameter, not just 50 / 100. Still no edge

Test it yourself you'll see :)

#12     Jul 12, 2008
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

Sometimes it's a need to be smarter than the market/everyone else.

#13     Jul 12, 2008
  4. well, of course, but sometimes the market moves in insane enough ways to eat people far from the bottom on the IQ ladder.

#14     Jul 12, 2008
  5. ljmlmvlhk

ljmlmvlhk Guest

Because they approach trading / investing from the wrong perspective.

These guys always seem to have an opinion on what is happening, why it’s happening and what will happen next.

Some of these opinions may arise due to the media’s influence which has a fetish for publishing why and what next. However they are in the business of selling and they sell that what people wish to hear.

There are far too may unseen and unknown variables which exert an influence on price movement for one to be able to predict.

Our friend Rennick attempts to predict, but this is slightly different.
    Why? Very short term, ie a couple hours and it is done with a sense of humor, more a short term probability sort of thing, but beyond that, predicting is futile, unless one has major concrete inside info.

#15     Jul 12, 2008
  6. ammo

ammo

the majority of the floor traders didn't have an edge,just a feel for the changes in momentum,et er's are all looking for a system,i've seen a few here that are successful with them,and a lot more looking for them,you have to have market sense,whether u use a system or not,it's a game like football or any other sport,u have to react quickly and u need experience to know how to do that,that just takes time to aquire

#16     Jul 12, 2008
  7. I trade 2 systems, one that identifies a chop setup and one that identifies a trending setup. Lately the chop has been making me most of my money....it may just the the instruments I'm trading though.

#17     Jul 12, 2008
  8. I use moving averages as a filter. They are a part of a profitable system for me. Maybe I could trade without them but they sure make it very easy for me to flip through a lot of charts in a short amount of time.

#18     Jul 12, 2008
  9. Just thought I'd let you know: there is no edge, because the market changes.

The big winners in the market use their head to figure the existing market out. That's what pays the big money.

Testing the market for moving average crossovers, stochastics, MACD, etc etc etc will never have any "edge" at all.

OldTrader

#19     Jul 13, 2008
  10. Johno

Johno

Because they haven't learnt to think clearly, the markets, as in business and life punish wishful/wishy washy thinking! Sadly there is no substitute for experience! On a more practical note, moving averages are a very minor part of the trading equasion, entrepeural creativity being the majority component, lateral thinking. Trading by the numbers is very unlikely to work for most people hence the extremely high observed failure rates of new entrants.

Best Regards

Johno

#20     Jul 13, 2008