Why should anyone buy stocks now?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by detective, Feb 8, 2008.

1. MKTrader

MKTrader

And I'm not going to buy a new car until it's at a new all-time high...which is approximately 543.334455 days from now by my always-precise calculations.

I think I'll change my screen name to riskfreeshopping while I"m at it..."Never buy until something is at an all-time high!" What a concept!

#31     Feb 11, 2008
  2. Specterx

Specterx

I think it makes no sense to buy (for the long term) until the market sets higher lows and/or higher highs. The behavior of SPX right now looks very similar to October-December of 2000. Slope of the 50-week SMA has turned negative, weekly RSI and MACD are very bearish. Trying to pick a bottom or catch bear rallies is a very dangerous game IMO, especially as we have yet to see a run of positive economic news to support the "bottom is forming" theory. I personally expect a retest of the lows by the end of Feb.

That's not to say that particular stocks and sectors won't outperform, but if there is indeed a recession (Intrade puts the odds of a recession in '08 at about 2/3rds), most stocks will head lower. If I get back in the market with by 401(k) funds, it'll be in bonds, short ETFs, relatively safe dividend stocks and the like. Too ominous an environment for anything else at this point, imo.

Good environment for shorts, day or swing trading though.

#32     Feb 12, 2008
  3. look at debt to gdp ratios. look at the blow up in the financial sector.

you can be ignorant to the similarities, guess you'll be the one holding the bag when this ship actually sinks

#33     Feb 12, 2008
  4. saluki

saluki

We will bottom out in late February and will take off again in March after the next expected rate cut. My finger will be on the Buy trigger in March.

#34     Feb 12, 2008
  5. I'm sorry, but are you "new" to this game?
    Technically speaking, the 200 day MA is practically meaningless.

#35     Feb 12, 2008
  6. Yet another absurd post on ET.
    :(

#36     Feb 12, 2008
  7. Yet another incredible CONTRARY INDICATOR on ET.

:D

#37     Feb 12, 2008
  8. Let me make a wild guess here: You got your head handed in the 2001/2002 bear market, swore to yourself that you will never ever invest in stocks again and now come to the board once a week and make your doomsday predictions.

#38     Feb 12, 2008
  9. dozu888

dozu888

why should any1 buy now?

sovereign funds are buying
    buffet is buying
    gates is buying

#39     Feb 12, 2008
  10. Mvic

Mvic

As I have mentioend elsewhere on ET I have been trading positions off the Sox chart the last few months. It signaled when to get short and gave me a good target to cover some of my position. I think its worth a look.

#40     Feb 12, 2008