Why should anyone buy stocks now?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by detective, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Egodude

Egodude

There are plently of long buy opportunities, but I think they are primarily for the short term day and swing traders.

I'm not particularly bullish on the long term market right now, but short term there are planty of trades you can make on the long side.

#21     Feb 11, 2008
  2. if you are a bottom picker it would make sense

#22     Feb 11, 2008
  3. the dow will go down slighly below 12,000 imho. From there i am alllllllll buy buy buy.

Valuations are at historical lows, thats a huge buy signal to me.

Ok so yes the US might be going/already is in a recession. Point is we are in a global economy these days. The US in a recession is just a slight bump in the road.

Buy below 12k ppl

#23     Feb 11, 2008
  4. I won't buy till I see a new all time high, or two years after the all time high (roughly 20 months from today).

#24     Feb 11, 2008
  5. Just looking at the price action and the charts, its obvious that the smart money is to fade the rallies, or just outright short and wait it out for a few months. It is going to get worse before it gets better. There is still some goodwill from the Fed actions and people are not totally in despair, thus you don't see the market falling apart. Rallies from these levels will be weak, while selloffs will be heavy.

If this market really wasn't a bear market, then why aren't we going up more? Its really simple. If the market is sluggish and weak, then there is likely to be more weakness.

#25     Feb 11, 2008
  6. You are a rather impatient fellow, are you not?

The market is obviously very nervous; that no one can deny. But you are seriously deluding yourself if you do not think that the stock market is a market of stocks and sectors.

For example, take a look at NBR and PTEN over the last week.

Ka-Ching!
    :cool:

#26     Feb 11, 2008
  7. Oh, and for what it's worth the indexes do not always make V-Bottoms to signal a "washout" and the end to a Bear trend.

Just something to keep in mind.
    :)

#27     Feb 11, 2008

8. Its bunch of negative idiots like you who cant seem to grasp the reality and move on. I have been fading rallies, I have been going long or short but its not the same market I agree. Lots of negative sentiment, lots of despair and hopelessness. Bunch of negative idiots out here, lots of them.

#28     Feb 11, 2008
  9. It is going up on lower volume, and declining 200-days moving average. I checked the fundamentals in the past. They are good, but technically, that stock will not go far. Watch out for the descent as well!

#29     Feb 11, 2008
  10. MKTrader

MKTrader

You could've made an equally bearish case in 1987, 1990 or 1998...all of which had an even bigger drawdown than we've seen so far this year. There are some similarities to 2001, but there are many differences as well. Those buying stocks now may be premature, or they may be exploiting the best opportunity since 2003.

There were some very strong technical signs of a bottom on Jan 22-23rd. Buying at 1390 would've been pretty dumb, I agree. Buying a retest of the lows when the S&P is showing very strong support at 1315-1320 may not be so dumb. We'll see.

#30     Feb 11, 2008