Why should anyone buy stocks now?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by detective, Feb 8, 2008.

1. you also don't need to worry about a margin call if you are an investor that is not leveraged.

i've certainly increased the long percentage in my longterm account (i had 40% of portfolio in long positions prior to christmas and now have 60% in long positions).

again, depends on yer paradigm. if you are talking an unleveraged investor or swing trader, there are (have been and will be) some great value opps.

how many stocks out there are at prices where a year ago you would have KILLED to get in at that price. but as is the nature of most (losing) market participants, they fail to take advantages of the opportunities presented in the market based off others panic and euphoria

#11     Feb 10, 2008

2. IF things are so bad, why dont you go to HOME DEPOT, buy a nylon rope and a plastic school , check into a $20 Motel room and hang yourself to the ceiling fan. At least your dead carcass will be found spinning around in fetid air and you will be through this experience called life.

#12     Feb 11, 2008

3. Nothing will cheer this seriously depressed clown, just let him go he needs to meet his maker. One less the better it is. No one needs this negative puke before Mondays opening bell.

#13     Feb 11, 2008

4. Can you also fart with your negative puke you just threw on us right before Mondays opening bell?

I would certainly appreciate your helpful act.

#14     Feb 11, 2008
  5. mid jan gave a good time to jump into some good stocks. dry bulk shippers and internet gambling were areas that got trashed that i really liked.

select commodity related stocks were good moves. bucy at mid/low 70s can't be passed up. could be a pullback within the next few months giving another buying opp.

just have to be selective and properly diversify defensively. like bear funds, short USD against the yen, chf and cdn, etc.

#15     Feb 11, 2008
  6. don't count on it. this could be a similar situation to 1929. laws that were passed after the depression were taken out thinking we were in new times.

in grade 8 history class, my history teacher said the reason to learn history is so that you don't repeat the same mistakes in the future.

#16     Feb 11, 2008
  7. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

There is no comparison between today and 2001 ImO, where is the buying frenzy of 2001? It's simply not there today, we shouldn't assume that markets will always do the opposite of what general public is thinking. You do your own poll on a street, most people will have an opinion that 2008 will be a tough year, so clearly buying shares is not on their list of priorities. In fact I see tendencies of people already starting to sell their 2nd homes and buy-to-let properties. If this was 2001 then everybody would be highly optimistic about the future, not so today ImO. Will market try and entice us into buying shares? Maybe. Maybe not. 'Trade what you see'.

#17     Feb 11, 2008

8. Yeah you go back and live in 1929. I ain't going back, I am living in 2008.

Is there anything dark and sinister that you can compare 2008 with ?

#18     Feb 11, 2008

9. With the dark horse you have been riding there is no hope anywhere around you but to go down. National pastime of pessimism and despair.

#19     Feb 11, 2008
  10. JSSPMK, couldn't agree more. I don't know where people take these 2001 comparisons from, looks like most of them are from posters plagued by post-bubble traumas and whenever they see stocks tank 20% it's another 2000 bubble popping. I see very little similarity looking at the entire picture of sector price action, bonds & interest rates.

#20     Feb 11, 2008