Why scalping beats any other trading style

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by yoohoo, Dec 7, 2006.

1. bighog, interesting observation because it did affect his health.

Pekelo, in your example I'd be the better trader unless the market moved from reversal to reversal without any internal waves. My profit would almost always exceed yours by a very large margin after slippage and commissions.

#11     Dec 7, 2006
  2. i also can make a system with 95% accuracy, anybody wants to buy? i can´t promise no sudden drawdowns though ;-)

what i want to say is, 90% probability doesn´t say anything. it´s the combination with drawdown that makes it interesting.

#12     Dec 7, 2006
  3. RedDuke

RedDuke

Agree. The short time frames, reduce risk and provide more opportunities. However, the draw back is screen time. It is nice to sip chardonnay while looking at weekly charts, but to do it you need to operate on large scale in order to attain any meaningful results.

#13     Dec 7, 2006
  4. you are forgetting that competition at the smallest timeframe is 100 times larger, so actually i don´t agree with you at all.

#14     Dec 7, 2006
  5. trade4success - interesting point - but I don't believe you. However I don't dismiss your opinion - so prove it to me.

I've traded multi million $ positions in one stock and I now scalp futures. Trying to get in/out with $50m is competition. Trying to enter 10 lots on the ER2 ain't anything like it in my opinion. So I hold my view, you can't out perform a hot scalper unless you position trade with size.

#15     Dec 7, 2006
  6. Yoohoo,

Can you ask your friend to do this for
    even smaller time frame than 1 minute ,if
    possible ?

I agree with you regarding that competition thing.

Trade4success,

Where do you get your 100 number ?
    haven't noticed any more competition

#16     Dec 7, 2006
  7. hard to prove something like that, so let´s take it back.

another point though, "unless you position trade with size." that´s the thing, the larger the timeframe, the bigger size you can trade.

i think i just get a ... from looking for weak points in arguments :confused: i should´ve become a lawyer or politician

#17     Dec 7, 2006
  8. 100 number, just a ballpark guestimate

#18     Dec 7, 2006
  9. anyway, to "theoretically" prove my point about competition: where the easiest money is, it attracts the most competition, so it will stop being the easy money, get my point?

#19     Dec 7, 2006
  10. yea but the longer the timeframe the easier it is to judge the signal - that's why scalping is considered the most difficult trade to master. Wouldn't the greatest competition be at market open for equity traders?

#20     Dec 7, 2006