why scale out

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by investwthme, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Is there a mathematically better way to scale out? Or efficient way of triggering trailing stops for different lots size accumulated as the price touches various profit target level.... :confused:

#61     Jun 15, 2009
  2. Just imagine you're up 5 points and you're at an area where you should take some profit... then the market comes back to take your stop.

Now, imagine you're up 5 points and you see potential for more, but you close... then the market runs another 3 points.

Scaling out helps with both of these issues... It allows you to:

1. Take some profit off the table
    2. Stay open for more profit
    3. Eliminate risk (well, the way I do it)

I don't think scale-out or all-out strategies will do you any good unless you're taking high probability trades and have a pre-determined risk structure.

:cool:

#62     Jun 16, 2009
  3. I like the idea of scaling out, but I always wonder if actually does decrease risk? So if you are long 2 contracts...and your stop is 20....if your stop gets hit you are taking a big hit....if you scale out, so sell 1 contract after + 5 and sell the the final contract at + 20....really your risk/reward is less than 1:1. Of course these numbers are examples, but as far as I can see the risk reward is reduced somewhat with scaling out.

You may as well just buy 1 contract initially so that if your stop gets hit its no biggie, and then when you hit a profit target - take it. In this case you may actually be getting a better risk/reward ratio.

Am I overlooking something with these two scenarios? I must say I am undecided either way. But my initial thought would be that the rr ratio is reduced with scaling out and so it may not be that effective.

#63     Jun 17, 2009
  4. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

all in , all out benefits all systems, even the low probability and losing systems.

#64     Jun 17, 2009
  5. Care to share?

I'm curious how ANY money management principle can benefit a "losing" system...

#65     Jun 17, 2009
  6. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Now, the example of the trader who is using a losing system:

Four ES Contracts 90% win ratio all in/all out versus
    Four ES Contracts 90% win ratio scaling out at half target.

1 pt target 10 pt initial stop loss

1st example with 20 trades
    18 winners for 1 X (4 conracts) = 72 pts ($3600)
    2 losers for 10 X (4 contracts) = -80 pts (-$4000)
    Net loss $-400

2nd example with 20 trades
    18 winners for 1 X(2 Contracts)=36 pts ($1800)
    18 winners for .5 X(2 Contracts)=18 pts ($900)
    2 Losers for 10 X(4 Contracts) =-80 pts (-$4000)
    Net profit $-1300

As you can see, even the trader who employs a losing system will lose less by not scaling out. --Ishmael

#66     Jun 18, 2009
  7. The math is 100% scientifically correct. Any mechanical system writer will learn thru experience that all-out exit management is the highest net profit results strategy versus any scale-out strategy.

The difference lies in human emotion. Some traders simply perform better by catering to the emotional comfort of "winning" any part of some trades.

Whatever the bottom line results are in each indivual's account is what they should go with. Scientifically, all-out is optimal. Spiritually, scale-out may be a necessary band-aid for human emotion.

#67     Jun 18, 2009
  8. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

This is one of the main reasons that scaling is inferior. Money can be made scaling, but it is inferior to all in /all out over the long haul. Thanks for the post--Ishmael:)

#68     Jun 18, 2009
  9. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

FALSE

#69     Sep 6, 2011