Why real traders do not discuss gains or losses...

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Port1385, Apr 28, 2009.

1. jnbadger

jnbadger

I don't know why this is inspirational, but it is.

#31     May 24, 2012
  2. There are so many factors that go into earnings.

If one trader has a full time job, house paid off and investable cash of $250,000 and makes $2,000 for the month, that's nice but no big accomplishment. He's relaxed and +2,000 or -2,000 no big deal.

Another trader has no job, only $2,500 in his account and bills to pay at the end of the month. If he makes $2,000 that is quite an accomplishment. He is under pressure a +2,000 or -2,000 is a big deal.

So that is about context.
    ----------

Then there is experience, skill, and consistency.

Two traders of similar situation and both trading the same instrument with the same capital (both $20,000 and both ES), but one is brand new (trader N) and the other has knowledge and experience (trader E). The new trader has a lucky streak and makes $2,000 - no analysis, no trading plan, no stops.

The other, trader E has a solid setup with a edge follows his plan, filters his trades and has solid analysis and a logically positioned stop. He too makes $2,000.

Both made $2,000. The odds that trader E will perform similarly next month are good and for trader N it is "spin the wheel".

----

Then there is ego, vanity and envy.

An experienced trader may not post his results because on a good month it may create jealousy or envy in others. This can cause them to abandon their plans and try to copy him, or depress themselves because "he's making money why aren't I?', or take reckless gambles.

An experienced trader may not post his results because on a bad month, because he knows from experience that it invites, ridicule or "helpful" advice, or being thought less of - just when he needs to remind himself of that his plan is solid and that he shouldn't doubt it or himself.

------
    It's very hard to see any value in posting results. One of the few cases would be if every trader was only posting sim trades, before the trade or right at the trade time, on the same instrument and sharing their targets, stops, reasons for the trade and the posting was done with the goal of helping each other become better traders.

In most forums I have noticed boasting, snide comments, superficial discussion, envy, and immature emotional framework and lack of any sincere effort to work together to help each other become better.

If you could start a forum where people were not allowed to post anything but helpful and positive comments and where new ideas could be expressed without ridicule by the resident trolls - then you could create a place where traders looked forward to going and posting.

I have yet to find one of these!

Good trading to all!

It's not "all about the money"

#32     May 25, 2012
  3. simpleRT

simpleRT

Yes, it's important to never disclose your positions in the market in daytrading because that will create emotion and that is something you don't want.

The point of this game is to emotionally compromise the other players... So telling everyone else your cards is kind of retarded...

#33     May 26, 2012
  4. Yes I think one creates a locked mindset as well.
    You may end up staying in a trade because you have stated publically where it is going to go.

#34     May 27, 2012
  5. so that's how they are. I always wondered what top traders always do.

#35     May 27, 2012
  6. speero

speero

Livermore has a good discussion in Reminisces of a Stock Operator around Chapter V I believe. Think around page 100 or so of the .pdf.

It's about hope and fear and how traders should essentially feel the opposite of the normally inflicted response to loss or gain. It's spot on in my opinion at least.

#36     May 29, 2012
  7. Specterx

Specterx

Somewhat bizarre to cite Livermore on emotional control since he blew out multiple times, on some occasions losing an entire fortune, and ended up shooting himself.

#37     May 29, 2012
  8. at least he went out like a man, not like these wimps today who blow up and get a job as an "expert" at CNBC.

#38     May 29, 2012
  9. Handle123

Handle123

People just get angry when you are doing way better than they are, many think you should share cause they are losing. Doesn't make me more money by telling people my positions, matter of fact, it could cost me a few ticks when I am trying to get out. Long ago it was fun to watch the account go up, at some point just stopped watching it, either I made money today or didn't and how will I have to change as per my rules for tomorrow. But losing is just a 1-2 day frustration, goal is to be profitable each week.

#39     May 30, 2012
  10. speero

speero

I wouldn't say bizarre, ironic, maybe. However, I believe just because he was wrong at one extreme point at the end of his life he at least had some correct principles on the emotions of trading.

#40     May 30, 2012