why prop and not futures?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by llRoninll, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

The failure rate in trading is pretty evenly distributed across the board.

#41     Dec 28, 2006
  2. Mav,

I must be missing them. I see lots of firms for retail accounts, like Advantage, Advanced, Velocity, TS, IB, etc. The only one I know of that does (did) prop is GHCO.

I guess with the leverage available in futures, they are considered "prop" because they offer low intraday margins?

Come on man. Help me out here.

#42     Dec 28, 2006
  3. I was offered a job in CT in 96 trading the spooz for a "prop" firm. Back when prop meant you were a good trader and traded their money with your strategy and they paid you well if you could make them lots of money. You made money with position. They are now one of the largest hedge funds around.... Should have taken it .... Probally be retired by now...

#43     Dec 28, 2006
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Spike, Althea, Rosenthal, Kingstree, Jump, Geneva, VTrader, Breakwater, Fusion, Gelber, etc.

http://www.cme.com/trading/mem/res/clringfirm3391.html

#44     Dec 28, 2006
  5. Thanks, Dude.
    I owe you one.

#45     Dec 28, 2006
  6. Even then it is about who you know... When I initially called my contact at the "prop firm", the first question was "how did you get my number. Five minutes after I dropped the name I had a plane ticket to NY and an interview.... Two days late a job offer...

#46     Dec 28, 2006
  7. I had a very similar experience, but the prop firm that hired me was actually a real prop shop. I've been churning out fake snow and miniature houses for movies ever since.

#47     Dec 29, 2006
  8. #48     Feb 1, 2007
  9. Because they are inexperienced and don't know any better.

#49     Feb 1, 2007
  10. Maverick74

Maverick74

#50     Feb 2, 2007