Why Profitable Trading Is So Difficult

Discussion in 'Trading' started by NoDoji, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Some people asked me why I do not sell signals from my models and/or I teach others? What business models are used? How much should one charge for signals? Does anyone here have experience in these areas

Other than making money (which could also turn out to be losing money), I therefore do not understand what motivates people to seek trading education when the whole activity is a zero to negative sum.

#141     Jan 31, 2014
  2. ammo

ammo

95% percentage of traders bust out in their first year, 95% of jerry springer guests lives stay the same a year later, there is a huge mental block that most people choose to ignore, in most other jobs, you can get away with it,in trading ,in sports ,in art , etc it will definitely halt your career

#142     Jan 31, 2014
  3. NoDoji

NoDoji

You can get excellent swing trade setup subscriptions for around $99 a month from companies like Pristine or Bulltrade, and the one Stocks4Life uses.

A zero sum game doesn't mean there are no winners; it means that the educated and experienced participants will profit from the losses of the inexperienced and ill-prepared participants. There are plenty of gamblers providing liquidity for the professionals.

#143     Jan 31, 2014
  4. NoDoji

NoDoji

That's what it all comes down to.

You can buy high probability setups for a few dollars a day, but it won't execute the trades and follow the trade management rules for you.

#144     Jan 31, 2014

5. I have an objection to paying for subscriptions. because, imho, no one has a real clue. even the experts- if , for example we find someone who has an edge. why do we simply figure out a way to get that person to trade for us on a commission basis and we sit back and everybody wins. why take the hassle of trying to rack it out when 99.5% retail traders fail.
    folks will post myriad reasons but it all boils down to: if there was really a consistent edge it would be over exploited and efficient mkt theory wud neutralize its tangible effect

#145     Jan 31, 2014
  6. People on this forum may not do it for a number of reasons, such as lack of trust among each other, preference to work alone, lack of understanding of the benefits from working in groups, lack leadership to do it, etc. Let me give an example: Many posts here search for proprietary trading firms. If 100 people could get together and contribute a fraction of what they give to firms, they could get the benefits of prop trading at a lower cost and lower risk. Why didn't they do it?

Investment firms and banks spend a lot to get people to trust them with their money and their private information. It is the lack of trust and the attitude towards working in groups that prevent one to give funds to someone else to trade them.

#146     Jan 31, 2014
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

You have no idea what you're talking about.

#147     Jan 31, 2014
  8. Handle123

Handle123

Twelve years ago I had a service calling signals, emailed my brokerage statements each day to ten subscribers, gave signals before I put on trades. The goal was $100 per contract at which point service ended for the day. Each week for six months service was profitable, only three subscribers made money overall. I heard more reasons of the "whys" the other seven people either lost money or simply didn't think it was possible to be consistent enough to be profitable and yet seven popped for monthly fee.

Whether people buy books, seminars, video, software or services, they are going to change it. I terminated the service for various reasons, started to get slippage, thought one member was feeding several buddies, days where markets were flat I would have to sit there longer than 30 minutes, it got to be more annoying than what it was worth.

I still contend, those who can day trade well not going to waste their time to be saddled with chat services and especially trading OPM. I can see services for Swing and long term as much slower ways for profit and heavier volume. But these are my beliefs for my life. We all have egos, am too grumpy to do them any more.

#148     Feb 1, 2014
  9. pemully

pemully

I remember Richard Dennis stating that 9/10 things that worked in the past don't work now.People laughed when he 'denounced' systematic trendfollowing 13 years ago.now look at the performance of CTAs during this time, FLAT.
    we all know all The T.A stuff is nonsense. Price action is lame & dumb.Money management is overrated.
    The guys who make money consistently think outside the box,and we know very few of us are capable of independent thinking and as such doomed to fail in the world of trading.

#149     Feb 1, 2014
  10. I grudingly have to agree with every word. above +1. CTAs/ technical A. stuff what a hogwash it has been...
    just when you think u have the holy grail- something changes and it no longer works..

plain simple -if u had a secret edge and no one found out, soon you would be a -- BILLIONAIRIE..!!

#150     Feb 1, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.