why poor countries don't catch up

Discussion in 'Economics' started by morganist, Apr 8, 2010.

1. morganist

morganist Guest

japan is hot and hong kong and the south of china is hot. i went there when i was younger my relative said you have to have air conditioners in the wardrobe because of the humidity.

#11     Apr 8, 2010
  2. "When the missionaries came to Africa
    They had the Bible and we had the land.
    They said "Let us pray." We closed our eyes.
    When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land."
    Bishop Desmond Tutu.

#12     Apr 8, 2010
  3. why poor countries don't catch up
    -----------------------

Let's scale down the problem. Why can't poor localities catch up with the rich ones within the same state. Or a poor state catch up with the rich state.

Every locality and state should have equal access to the same financial captial with the same rules.

Perhaps it is intellectual capital that accounts for the difference.

#13     Apr 8, 2010
  4. morganist

morganist Guest

then you have to look at what creates intellect.

did you get the pm on martinghoul. i dare you to ask him if he knows the relationship between the fractional reserve mechanism and the central bank. watch him squirm.

#14     Apr 8, 2010
  5. Which brings to mind, Dubai. They are not poor but they are playing catch up via innovation. Big buildings, experimental architecture, environmentally designed geography.

#15     Apr 8, 2010
  6. morganist

morganist Guest

yes and oil. none of that would be possible if it wasn't for the oil.

i really think the real problem is corruption and either the inability or lack of will for people to stop it. i think this is also why countries that were successes are now failing.

you could argue churhes enable development due to the moral code and active involvement preventing corruption. as church power has diminished in us and europe so has the morality and now the rot is starting to set in.

what do you think?

#16     Apr 8, 2010
  7. Yes I got the pm, and thank you very much, you answered my question perfectly. As far as asking follow up to martinghoul, I'll take a pass. :D

#17     Apr 8, 2010
  8. and all empires eventually have to plunder the rest of the world to keep the dynasty strong. No counrty has enough productivity to dominate the world

#18     Apr 8, 2010
  9. or maybe their willingness to gain wealth by any means necessary regardless of the aftermath. I rarely see a correlation between wealth and intellect.

#19     Apr 8, 2010
  10. clacy

clacy

Ha! Are you saying that those in undeveloped countries are morally superior to those of us in developed countries????? I would say that it's opposite if anything.

#20     Apr 8, 2010