Why oh why can't I stick to my plan ?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by cicsman, Apr 18, 2006.

1. cnms2

cnms2

Which shows how important to learn your math is ... :)

#111     Apr 23, 2006
  2. cnms2

cnms2

Sometimes when I step into this kind of virulent and unpleasant anti-Hershey polemic, besides skipping those posts, I wonder why does anybody put so much passion and wastes his time to write them? The only explanation I could come up with is that it springs from his frustration caused by his unsatisfactory trading results, and by his lack of patience and / or open mind to try to find a better way. This is a shame, and I'm telling myself to never fall in the error of doing the same.

Jack, in my opinion, you shouldn't reply to those posts. Better avoid their negative energy. It is also such a waste of time.

Guys, don't bother flaming me, I'll ignore it. :)

#112     Apr 23, 2006
  3. "i would say to this poster that they should try looking at much longer time periods and paper trading them..."

Yup..piss away your trading life, in slow
    motion.

#113     Apr 23, 2006
  4. gpzany

gpzany

Jack,

just wanted to say thank you for your continued contribution to this website. I have been reading through Spydertraders' Journal I and the reference links to your material and I must say that your methodology has been a revelation for me. I have been following markets on and off for 10 years, attempting to trade many different techniques and methods with little success. Your methods just make perfect sense, and have been spending hours and hours over the last few weeks in "wiping the slate clean" so that I can model your method as deeply as possible. I noticed you mention NLP, I presume you mean Neuro-Linguistic Programming - if so, I am pleased. I am applying its modeling methods to embed your method into my nervous system to attempt as best as possible to emulate your success... I am working through the daily screening process and will be placing simulated trades for a while so as to check that I am following the method accurately. I also wish to thank Spydertrader for his ongoing contributions through his journals, as he has provided additional clarity to your work as a running scoreboard of live trading using your methods. What more can people ask for so as to be able to assess a particular methodology? It is regretable that throughout history, there has always been individuals who have attacked that which they do not understand, or that is outside of their universe.... so be it... I am finally looking forward to a very profitable lifetime of trading and all that it may entail...

Kind regards...

#114     Apr 23, 2006
  5. Thanks for the heads up but it's self-evident that I need to backtest with the EPS and RS rankings that were available at the time of the backtest.

I'm testing (with the Stoch adjustment Jack gave me) what's in the 'Bruno R' post... specifically:

"To find a rocket you only have to have your quality universe (they are very high quality stocks with EPS and RS at 80 to 90 percentiles each. The only indicator that is significant is the Stochastic (5,3,3). What you look for on your daily charts are the stochastic rising deliberately to the 80% line and overshooting it and then critically damping on the line; perturbations will cause it to look entwined on the line. There you have it."

I've had a very busy weekend and won't get to this until later today but I'll test "rockets" first with just EPS & RS ranks and Stoch. If it's a sound strategy those alone should show an edge but even if they don't I'll still add in the other stuff you mentioned (price, average volume, float, etc). I'll even include inside ownership > 25% which I recall you saying improves results from one of your journals.

I totally disagree with your statement: "due to the difficulties involved with backtesting this strategy, I find 'walk forward analysis' more useful." It may be difficult or even impossible to backtest this with stocktables.com and wealthlab but having the capability to accurately and correctly backtest fundamental and technical criteria together will improve your productivity by several orders of magnitude. Walk forward analysis has its place but you can waste a lifetime testing concepts in real time that would take minutes with the right tools.

#115     Apr 23, 2006
  6. If that's the only explanation you can come up, you're clearly not the brightest bulb on the tree. :)

#116     Apr 23, 2006
  7. I don't know if you are also referring to me in your post. However, if you are, then I think you are mistaken with some of your characterizations. First, it is presumptuous to assume that I am "frustrated by unsatisfactory trading results" or that I should be "trying to find a better way." Please be assured that I am sufficiently pleased with the "way" I have now. And while I may periodically seek to improve upon it, I am not convinced that someone must necessarily look outwards or be led by the hand in order to do so. It is certainly an option, but I fail to see it as an essential one.

You will also note that I do not have, nor have I ever had, any issues with Spydertrader. If anything, I am surprised and impressed by the degree of his selflessness. He strikes me as genuine, and that is a fairly rare quality in these here parts.

However, I think that Grob earned the observations I made about him. While I can barely follow most of what he writes, the one thing that always appears to be clear is that if you are not doing or seeing things his way, then you are wrong. Essentially, he demands to be followed. Otherwise he dismisses you as a loser. I cannot think of a better textbook example of a messianic mien, which I referred to in a prior post. Therefore, I think that your above reference to negative energy was misplaced. If he has something to share, it appears that you must first bow to him and put up with a morass of seeming nonsense. His posts are, more often than not, a verbal quagmire of self-important musings. And while you are posing your rhetorical questions to his critics, you may wish to ask Grob about his motivations for writing overlong, meandering posts. As it happens, I only began expressing my view of him, which I had previously kept to myself, after he first took a tangential jab at me in one of his posts a while back. Quid pro quo. No more, no less. Only as I see it. My criticisms are generally guided by the principle that an ounce of pretension is worth a pound of manure. I merely like to point it out when I come across it.

As for Spydertrader, I have no idea how he managed to get to the other side of the babbling brook. I marvel at his resolve.

#117     Apr 23, 2006