Why Obama Will Strike Iran

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Wallet

Wallet

Interesting view, I'm not sure I buy into the belief that Japan thought they were defeated and ready to surrender, My take on Japan's rational into the war was to stalemate the USA by crippling it's pacific fleet and making the cost of concurring Japan too high, thus leaving them to conduct their affairs in Asia as they saw fit, which included terrorism on China. I do not believe they ever thought they could actually win the war. Our sanctions denying them the raw materials (oil) they needed for their war machine, forced their hand.

A large percentage of Japanese military committed suicide rather than being captured. To their credit, their determination was resolute, to the end.

I would have to say they way they brought us into the war (Pearl Harbor) played a major role in Truman's decision.

#11     Feb 20, 2011
  2. Mercor

Mercor

We had been bombing populated cities in Japan for 3 years, including firebombings. killing many citizens. Dropping a nuke from a causality point of view was not a huge escalation.
    It was only the difference of one bomb compared to 1000's of bombs to do the same damage.

Remember war is fought to win. If Lincoln had a weapon he could end the war with I doubt he would have used it on Atlanta. he would have dropped it on Confederate forces.

The nuking of the Japs was not a military attack but an attack to break the will of the politicians and create a lack of confidence between the them and the public.

#12     Feb 20, 2011
  3. "If Lincoln had a weapon he could end the war with I doubt he would have used it on Atlanta. he would have dropped it on Confederate forces."

Doesn't make sense to me that you would support the use of a nuke in one situation and not in another if the goal was to end the war and nuke was the best possible option available. You are suggesting that Truman's intentions to end the war were different than Lincoln's desire to end the war as soon as possible.

The war with the rebellious south was not a military war, but rather it was a war to break the will of the politicians and create a lack of confidence between the them and the public.

War is just the process, not the reason, and while I believe no one hated the war more than Lincoln, if Lincoln saw a way to end the war quickly with less bloodshed, I don't know why he would do something different than Truman did...unless you are suggesting that Lincoln was a real humanitarian...and Truman was not.

#13     Feb 20, 2011
  4. I was just trying to show that opinions do vary on the issue. Most people in America following the war grew up thinking that it was the slam dunk "right" thing to do, but I tend to believe it is just as possible that it wasn't really the right thing to do. Not saying I know what was the right thing to do...but I am inclined to believe the net gain of a more expedient end to the war level came with a price that the US one day will end up paying dearly for.

One other factor, given we had just achieved victory over Germany, the allied forces if called upon would likely have joined fully in the war with Japan...something else that Truman likely knew.

#14     Feb 20, 2011
  5. Obama is a pussy-ass.

#15     Feb 21, 2011
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

What a load of crap, even for you.
    I simply stated an indisputable fact. Bombing Nagasaki and Hiroshima ended the war period. Contrary to your cited opinion.

BTW, the bombing was an act perpetrated by a Democrat, along with the internment camps the bleeding hearts are still crying about.

The allies were ALREADY "joined" in the war against Japan.
    Would it kill you to open a history book?

#16     Feb 21, 2011
  7. 377OHMS

377OHMS

This pretty much the main reason I have Optional777 on ignore. He is perfectly comfortable twisting the truth 180-degrees out of whack and running with it.

The Klu Klux Klan was a democratic organization.

The democrats dropped the nuclear bomb on japan.

The democrats imprisoned anyone in California with japanese ancestry on purely racial considerations for the duration of the war.

#17     Feb 21, 2011
  8. "Why Obama Will Strike Iran "

Obama will do no shit like that. Not only because he's too weak, but also because America can't deal with the chaos that will come as a result of it.

#18     Feb 21, 2011
  9. benwm

benwm

It would be lunacy for America to strike first. Or for Iran.
    If war is inevitable, let them start it, THEN bomb the shit out of them.
    Not before.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that and the Iranian people follow the others in the region and bring down the government.

Nothing to stop the US doing everything they can to support Iranian opposition groups, then at least you'll have an ally in the region if it does come to war.

Just my three cents worth.

#19     Feb 21, 2011