Why NYSE market orders SUCK

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by axeman, Dec 4, 2002.

1. mskl

mskl

Jeff,

1) I'm not a big fan of the limitations:

30 seconds
    1099 limit
    they still post a size of 100 shares even after the balance of a bid/ask has been filled in essance freezing the market - in this day and age it should be simple to post an updated quote immediately

2) They post your limit orders but IMO, not in a timely manner. It should be immediate for EVERYONE to see

There certainly is many ways to take advantage of the rules on the NYSE - but for the novice trader, the lack of visibility as compared to the NASDAQ can make it very difficult.

#31     Dec 5, 2002

2. No more Supersoes.As of December 2,all nasdaq stocks are on supermontage,which trades with all MM's and ecn's,except isld and inca.But in my opinion,ARCA is the best way to trade nasdaq,since they trade with all mm's and ecn's.So that is your 1 nasdaq route.

#32     Dec 5, 2002
  3. I can see your point but the limitations on Direct+ are there so that people don't take advantage them. Another quote is coming out from the NYSE so that you won't have the 100 share problem. Check out the link below.

http://www.nysedata.com/liquidity/

Jeff--
    OES

#33     Dec 5, 2002
  4. Jeff,

I was told by someone that in the next few months they are going to change the direct plus rule so that you will not be able to use it if the spread is more then 5 cent wide. They will also be showing bids and offers 2 levels deep instead of just the inside quote. Have you heard anything about this.

#34     Dec 5, 2002
  5. The second quote(2nd level deep) is the liquidity quote. That link from nysedata/liquidity describes it. I don't know about the 5 cent thing but I can find out.

Jeff--
    www.tradeoes.com

#35     Dec 5, 2002
  6. Nordic

Nordic

Re: Re: OES Dot
    I can see your point but the limitations on Direct+ are there so that people don't take advantage them. Another quote is coming out from the NYSE so that you won't have the 100 share problem. Check out the link below.

http://www.nysedata.com/liquidity/

Jeff--
    OES

Jeff how will this help 1 by 1 that the spec constantly throws up on the current BBO to shut out Direct + executions.
    Thanks

#36     Dec 5, 2002
  7. You'll be able to get size done outside New Yorks regular quote and get it done with the liquidity quote or better. I don't know if that will help or not because those liquidity quotes aren't out yet. In the mean time you can always try a regional and see if you like the executions there. Experiment a little and see what you like.

Jeff--
    www.tradeoes.com

#37     Dec 5, 2002
  8. Sending a market order on NYSE? Why? Just sent the spec. a blank check!

#38     Dec 5, 2002
  9. dc441711

dc441711

Does the thirty second limitation apply per firm or trader?

Thx.

#39     Dec 9, 2002
    #40     Dec 10, 2002