Why Not Use Margin?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Corso482, Apr 30, 2003.

1. "I always hear don't trade with money that's not yours etc."

I disagree with this wholeheartedly. I ask you, why trade with your money at all??? Why would you want to risk your own capitol if you dont have to? Why not go find a prop firm that will take you on, learn how to trade sucessfully...then use those profits to leave and trade on your own.

#11     Apr 30, 2003
  2. dgmodel

dgmodel Guest

I never margin...

#12     Apr 30, 2003
  3. Guess what. Single Stock Futures give you 5:1 margin, and there's no margin interest on it! Links are in my signature.

With 5:1 margin, you can comfortably trade 2:1 your account size, with no margin call problem. Even 3:1 will be ok just about all the time if you're doing ok trading.

#13     Apr 30, 2003
  4. Good points. I would add the actual cost of margin interest can mount up over time. I think most investors are well advised to use margin only during strong bull markets and then use it sparingly.

#14     Apr 30, 2003
  5. Aren't single stock futures illiquid? Don't they only exist for a few stocks? Sorry, I'll check the link.

#15     Apr 30, 2003
  6. Margin rocks and is the basis of futures trading... when flipping 20 ES, why should I be fully-funded to the value of the underlying, when that money could be more productively used in passive income-generating assets such as real estate or a high interest account?...

The existence of margin doesn't mean you gotta operate outside your risk parameters, but what margin does do is free up the necessity to have capital sitting non-productively in your trading accounts...

#16     Apr 30, 2003
  7. hey candle, just out of curiousity, what high interest accounts are you referring to???

#17     Apr 30, 2003

8. I pm'd ya...

#18     Apr 30, 2003
  9. There's about 100 stocks that have stock futures. It's a very good basic list, including most of the Dow Jones Index.

For instance, QLGC, you could have done quite nicely with that one today (knowing that it was earnings reporting for them).

Illiquid is somewhat of a myth. Especially if you're starting off small enough that you're considering borrowing form your mother. I've never had a problem getting an immediate fill on them.

#19     Apr 30, 2003
  10. I doubt by probability law that all of a sudden one day you can't wake up to find your entire acct. down more than 50% :).

#20     Apr 30, 2003