Why not use call Options in a bull market? (BTC/ETH)

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by NinjainPyjamas, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Overnight

Overnight

Bleh. That sounds like trying to sugar coat something very complex with something simple, which hides the complexity. Like the 737 MAX software that covered-up and took too much control away from the pilots.

In my view, give all the power to the trader, and let them make the decisions.

#11     Feb 13, 2020
  2. I think they have pro mode as well. I personally use the simplified version as I'm relatively new to Options trading. So far so good though.

#12     Feb 13, 2020
  3. gaussian

gaussian

You failed to mention vega risk, delta, and theta.

You're only correct if each of these is held constant. The option will lose value as expiration approaches (it approaches it's intrinsic value in the limit), if vega decreases you are long vega and so reduction in IV == reduced chances of finishing ITM == lower value, and of course delta, we all know delta. Your trade is gamma sensitive so rapid changes in delta have a profound effect on the value of your option.

I will sometimes buy LEAP calls if I am speculating on a long position and don't want to hold the stock. If I am looking to actually own the underlying I will usually use a put to acquire the stock at a price I want (or premium if I miss).

You need to understand the greeks. It's relatively simple to develop an intuition of them but you need to develop it.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    #13     Feb 13, 2020
    mt2rules likes this.
  4. orbit23

orbit23

FTX has options on Bitcoin.

I never traded them, but you set your own strike price and expiration date and you get quotes/best offers from market makers. Found that to be neat.

#14     Feb 14, 2020
  5. mt2rules

mt2rules

You're not just trading delta when you are long a call option. You also have gamma, vega, and theta to contend with. If you are more interested in outright long exposure, you would probably be better off doing a spread trade. Otherwise you need to be right about the timing of the move and the overall volatility of the underlying. Options aren't just access to cheap leverage as many new traders tend to think of them.

#15     Feb 14, 2020
  6. KISS, baby!

To make any REAL money in the markets you generally need to make a large, unhedged bet and be correct... or a highly leveraged, highly risky bet and get away with it.

The market gives us plenty of chance to make "modest" profit in any number of ways... but if you wanna score big, you gotta put your balls on the line one way or another! (Not saying, "don't do that"... just judiciously pick your spots and don't neglect stops.)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    #16     Feb 14, 2020
  7. Keep in mind that they are the market maker and have every inch of derivatives mastered.

I'm not saying they're unfair, they are a solid shop. But if you don't know exactly what you need I'd use Deribit to ease in.
    While options and derivatives are very hard to learn if you're trading Crypto it's the only way to fly. Market neutral and arbitrage, it's the very strategy that let Sam start FTX.

Hi, I'm John. Just signed up a few minutes ago.

#17     Feb 14, 2020
  8. Well, Derebit might be a decent alternative but I prefer Sparrow Exchange as they make it a lot easier for beginners with their intuitive UI. They have the advanced book feature for pro traders too. I use them and its been great. :)
    Regarding FTX, they are good too but it is way too advanced for me and a lot of unnecessary things for me that I dont wanna come across at the moment. Its good to spread across multiple platforms so that you get the chance to arbitrage and profit far more efficiently.

#18     Feb 20, 2020