Why not Romney?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by noob_trad3r, Aug 21, 2009.

1. I'm pretty sure Huck knew exactly what he was doing. He was probably been promised a cabinet position by McCain if he stuck around and split the conservative vote.

It's tempting to say it wasn't fair, the media favored McCain, Huck was a spoiler, etc, but as much as I respect Romney, I have to say he ran a poor campaign. He should have attacked Clinton and later Obama. Instead, he went after McCain, then acted like a wuss when he was face to face with him.

A candidate like Romney lacks a natural base. He makes a big mistake when he makes the race personal between himself and other republicans, because they all do have natural bases. He should compete with them by denouncing Obama and the democrats, not by trying to convince people he is more conservative than Huck or more hawkish than McCain.

My complaint with Romney is he should be establishing himself now as the face and voice of the opposition. That's what a leader does. The behind the scenes stuff is important, but at some point if you are going to be president, you have to connect with voters. Obama did it, Hillary didn't. Palin did it, McCain didn't. Romney failed miserably at it. Probably most republican primary voters under truth serum would have admitted he was the best candidate, the most qualified,e tc. Still, they didn't vote for him. That's a big problem.

#21     Aug 27, 2009