Why not put term limits in congress?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by noob_trad3r, May 29, 2013.

1. I do not like the fact that once they get a seat, it becomes pretty much a perpetual seat in congress. And once lobbiests buy them out, they are guaranteed to stay.

Why not make it an 8 year max, just like the president?

2. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Why not, indeed.

3. Lucrum

Lucrum

Makes perfect sense AND it would solve and or improve many of our nations problems. But nothing short of a nationwide outcry will get it done. And considering how many, mostly liberal democrats, do not want term limits.
    It's a non starter.

4. The problem is it becomes an echo chamber and after sitting in the same seat for decades they forget who elected them and only work for lobbyists and not the voters. Terrible way it is today.

5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Yes, well, we all understand what is wrong with it and why it is bad. Getting it fixed is a whole different challenge.

6. LEAPup

LEAPup

Term limits are way overdue, I agree. Seems like they work hard getting there, then once there, the work stops.

7. It would require a constitutional amendment.

An easier solution would be to make it less lucrative. Cut their salaries and benefits to basically nothing, so that it is not a viable career. Then you would get retired CEO's, doctors, military people and the like who have a lifetime of real world experience and are not looking to create a dynasty for themselves and their offspring.

The Founders never intended for us to have a permanent class of legislators to rule over us and live like royalty at the public's expense.

8. LEAPup

LEAPup

Isn't that a FACT!

9. pspr

pspr

I'm surprised a group has not already formed to get a Constitutional Amendment passed in 2/3 of the States on term limits.

Congress won't do it on their own.

10. The people can make there own term limits by not re electing the bastards.Coming up with laws that prevent people from choosing who they want to lead them is very unamerican

#10     May 29, 2013