Why not just reduce taxes for poorer people

Discussion in 'Economics' started by morganist, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Can't think of anything we NEED more...

We either accept controlled/moderated pain we impose upon ourselves or get CRUSHING PAIN AND DEVASTATION foisted upon us by others...

#31     Jan 11, 2010
  2. in NYC, even if u make 200k its nothing, after paying federal,state and city tax, 40% is gone

#32     Jan 11, 2010
  3. I think some deficit spending wasn't intended. During good times, various governmental organizations increase their budgets and hiring (for social cause). Government would be more loose with our money. However, once the budget is set and agreed upon, it is very difficult for the government reduce it when recession hit. Doing so could have a social and economical impact. Hence, there will be a deficit in spending.

#33     Jan 11, 2010
  4. Still, immoral. Deficit spending is a tax to confiscate the wealth of the citizenry (mostly for political gain). It's wrong.. When a national, state or local government comes up against an "income shortage", the solution SHOULD BE... TRIM SPENDING... just as a family would have to do.

One of the most important jobs of the government USED to be... to "preserve the public purse"... that is, preserve the wealth and buying power of the public's money.

Let's not forget... "Destroy the country's money, destroy the country and the citizenry"...

#34     Jan 11, 2010
  5. I am just trying to point out that union is great for the guys who make hourly wage. It isn't such a good idea for guys who make $100k+/year.

I agree, with such high tax and the high cost of living, $200k is really not a lot in NYC.

#35     Jan 11, 2010
  6. There is a definitely a trade-off and for myself I don't quite understand all the costs and benefits and what the outcome would be. For example, if we stop the deficit with huge governmental layoffs, how would it impact the economy? How would it impact you and me? Our family? How would it impact on the status with the rest of the world? How would it impact national security? These are questions that are very difficult to answer and also I don't think any body is ready for a change like this.

#36     Jan 11, 2010
  7. You're right... we are not "ready" for such change, nor will we ever be.

Still, if we don't take the initiative ourselves (and I doubt we ever will), a SOLUTION will be forced upon us which will be worse... likely, CATASTROPHIC from our view.

#37     Jan 11, 2010
  8. heypa

heypa

Once you have gone off the cliff it's difficult to get "overs".
    or"dibs".
    I'm reminded of the old cowboy cartoon. "Whoa you son of a bitch, Whoa."

#38     Jan 11, 2010
  9. Have you ever looked at the tax tables? Tax is already seriously reduced for the poor. That is why the income tax is graduated, starting at 0%. . And a lot of the available tax credits. And a host of services for food, rent, heating, education, medical care and treatment, dependents, etc. etc.

#39     Jan 11, 2010
  10. BSAM

BSAM

Why not just eliminate income taxes for all people?

Why not, I ask?

Because your good government is corrupt. Very corrupt.

#40     Jan 11, 2010