Why not just bet the farm on Goldman Sachs?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bidask, Apr 23, 2009.

1. bidask

bidask

if you can't beat em join em?

upside:
    - entire wall street = goldman sachs.
    - all competitors either destroyed or on life support

downside:
    - none! government will always bail GS out and do GS special favors

buy gs?
    :D

2. I think owning a farm, or land to farm on will be more valuable going forward. There will likely be food shortages and/or contamination of food supplies.

I will take the farm. Final answer:D :cool: :) :p

Maybe I will buy some puts on GS to hedge myself.

3. Where do you come up with this stuff? The Sky is falling, the sky is falling.

4. Too bad you didn't feel this way when the stock was $60. :D :cool: :p :)

5. I got in this idea about 4-6 months ago and got in. You have to be able to sustain the drawdown... as in ALL IN. Dont remember the entry point but still OTM at 120. I got in with Buffet, but not at the same price of course.
    And no, you dont want to bet the farm on anything, never. Well, maybe except gold.

6. Imo, GS is a formidable institution. The only way they'll go down is either from within or they'll make a critical mistake under some scenario I can't imagine. IOW beat themself. I can't see either of these situations happening. "What's good for Goldman Sachs is good for the country", to re adapt the GM adage.

7. Goldman Sachs certainly has a "special relationship" with the Government, and they have been a simply stellar performer in the past.

But going public has diluted the true value of the institution by an inestimable amount, cost them incredible real value in terms of their operating protocols and ability to pull-in only the elite talent, and with the current malaise which infects the entire US Banking Sector only a fool would put all of their eggs in that basket ... never violate good investing/trading rules simply because something appears to be a "sure thing", more than one pauper has been created using that philosophy.