Why not all in?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by ocean5, Mar 20, 2012.

1. ocean5

ocean5

Foreeever young I wanna be forever young..

:D

Go to Galoka Vrindavana and be forever young(and wealthy btw,by default)

#21     Mar 29, 2012
  2. VielGeld

VielGeld

How do you know it works 99% of the time?

And why are you qualifying the "setup", and not the trader? What says it's not the trader who makes it work 99% of the time.

Looking for "setups" is one thing. Making it work is another.

#22     Mar 29, 2012
  3. there is no 99%. why?

since you are all in. in this case, you will not end up losing all (not using margin or futures, options, no short sale), you chance of losing all is almost like winning a lottery, but you can not win lot, 99% chance you will win something.

if you all in in futures, options, or short sale, whatever leverage used, you all in may get you into margin call, lose all and more. very common. chances are 99%. winning something is very slim.

all in is a bad money management strategy. but it is the best way to get you higher as quick as possible.

actually there is no certain thing, we all gamble. gamble right, we are the king of the pit.

bill gates gamble on microsft, steve jobs on apple, clumbus gambled on new land....

I totally support this stargety. particularly you are a small account trader. do research on every trade, try to win each time and gamble on the idea.

#23     Mar 30, 2012
  4. Even if your setup has worked 99% of the time in the past, the chance of it playing out the way you expect it to on the next try is 50%. That's why you don't go all in.

#24     Mar 30, 2012
  5. Honestly when I trade I go all in, there's no reason not to but it's not the same as gambling everything on "red" in roulette either.

Playing a color in Roulette has a <50% chance of winning.

#25     Mar 30, 2012
  6. You can go all in when trading stocks. I used to do it. With futures or forex, you can't do it since there is no limit to the amount of losses.

Let's say you are trading multiple stocks, the worst a stock can do is go to $ 0/sh, and the worst thing that will happen to you is that you will get a margin call. If you get a margin call, you can either sell stock to get you out of the call or your broker will sell you out of the positions automatically.

Trading futures and forex, there is no limit to your losses. That is why its better to trade smaller and have a stop even if you have a high win rate, since the 1% time you are wrong, is the time that one trade blows up your entire account.

#26     Mar 31, 2012

7. I AGREE

#27     Mar 31, 2012
  8. ============
    =Mr M;
    Congrats on the hi %%;
    but because 3 months is important,
    but doesnt mean much in 1 year, or 3 years, or 7 years.

Hope this helps.Stuff happens; big gold co may lose billions on its hedge [plural];
    1 big gold co already has .:cool:

murray TT

#28     May 18, 2012
  9. I have heard a trader taking $10,000 (a small part of his equity) and doubling that money for many consecutive instances, thus turning that into $300,000 in weeks, or $20k to $500k in a couple of months. Each time he would roll over all his profits and original principle into the next trade.

He is a true elite trader. An infinitesimal number of traders could perform such feats of trading genius. 99.9% of newbie traders who try that will blow up 100% of the time. Probably >90% of professional traders who try it will blow up at trade #2 or 3.

#29     May 18, 2012
  10. Froglet

Froglet

I'm not sure what you mean by unlimited losses w/ futures.

Going all in is a mindset that's incorrect. It does not give you options and people that go all in have poor risk management skills. There is no such thing as an absolute return, so to say that you would risk an absolute capital for it is ridiculous.

#30     Jun 26, 2012