Why No One Will Even Try to Tame the US Healthcare Monster

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Banjo, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Banjo

Banjo

2. ironchef

ironchef

This is my question for you and for the economists among us: Why does it need taming?

In the grand scheme of things, healthcare is just another economic sector, no different than tourism, education, the military, the defense industry, our government....? As an example, I think Singapore makes health service one of their money making industries by becoming a health service hub and attracting rich patients from neighboring countries.

4. big mac

big mac

Hypothetical: Assume a cure for let's say pancreatic cancer a cancer that is most deadly but the price tag on that cure is 100 million dollars. That's accessible by only a few, is this humane?

We need to minimize the negative effects of capitalism in healthcare thru regulation and subsidy imo.

5. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

You mean ladyboys from the region to have their tits done in SGP? Last time I checked there was nothing in particular gained for a wealthy individual in Asia to travel to Singapore or Hong Kong for medical purposes. Much better to travel to Japan or US/Europe.