Why no links ?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Wallace, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I'm not sure. Perhaps one of the moderators can chime in here and enlighten us.

2. Lucrum

Lucrum

The post Wallace is upset about had two links. The first was to a commercial site that is not an ET sponsor and the second to a web page with banner ads.

3. Let me re-phrase the question:

I'm sure I've posted the same links previously in reply to similar questions posted, so there seems to have been a change in ElliteTrader's rules/policy.

What I want to know is what are these new rules/policies.

4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

No, there's no recent policy change. Perhaps there's just some identity confusion here so let me clear it up. I don't care if a user posts links as long as that user is not affiliated with the firms they are posting links about, because then it just becomes blatant advertising. Wallace, you're not affiliated with either of those two links, right? Because if not, PM me the links and I'll fix the post.

5. Magna

Magna Administrator

I think I'm being quoted out of context here, meaning the context in which I made those particular posts, and want to clear things up. I've never adopted a "blanket" policy against links as those posts, referenced by TL Trader above, might imply. In fact just the opposite, as I permit most links without incident. But when a brand new member starts making multiple posts with the same link, obviously promoting a commercial website, then I draw the line. Or when a new member is obviously pumping a website (or service), providing links and contact person and phone numbers, then I draw the line. Or when an established member repeatedly promotes a firm (such as Oanda) then I draw the line. Is it often a judgment call? Absolutely. But after doing this for awhile it's not too difficult to sniff out the majority of those people trying to abuse ET's no-free-advertising policy, to separate the legitimate posters from the spammers.

6. Whatever the reason for the deletion of the links, and thanks to Baron's response, I believe it's now an 'administrative matter'.