Why Many So Pessimistic About Market? Is Economic Outlook the Reason?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by shortie, Jul 15, 2011.

Your Market and Economy Outlooks 6 months Down the Road

1. Market Up, Economy Up

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Market Up, Economy Down

15 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Market Down, Economy Up

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Market Down, Economy Down

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. [​IMG]

I see that VXX is inversely correlated to EWP (Spain ETF) recently. Basically, the excessive VIX we have seen can be explained to a large extent by the European problems. Now that we have some stability in Europe VIX is back down.

How much of US debt ceiling resolution is already priced into VIX? I think a lot. Big players know that the default won't happen. the media has successfully scared the little guy, but the little guy is not able to move the price much anyways.

I am guessing that VIX may go down some once the issue is resolved but by not much.

#31     Jul 24, 2011
  2. .

#32     Jul 24, 2011
  3. could Gold be Up because of debt ceiling discussion? what's the connection if any?

as I illustrated above, there is not much fear in VIX that can be attributed to the debt limit uncertainty. could US default fear manifest itself some other way, e.g. Gold?

#33     Jul 24, 2011
  4. According to the last time i checked put/call was 0,5

#34     Jul 24, 2011
  5. \

Could you pls. post a chart?

#35     Jul 24, 2011

6. I have thought about it today. I think gold is up because foreigners who buy US equity maybe hedging the dollar by buying gold.

#36     Jul 24, 2011
  7. total put/call 0.84
    index put/call 1.1
    equity put/call 0.62

The fear did subside since I started the thread (VIX and put/call went down) but there is still some fear present.

for example, street.com poll is bearish today:
    Total Votes: 473 votes

1 What would best describe your stance heading into the coming week of trading?

Bullish 39.53% 187 votes
    Bearish 48.2% 228 votes
    Neutral 12.26% 58 votes

#37     Jul 24, 2011
  8. piezoe

piezoe

I have to interject something here that I missed earlier, and it seems most have missed it: If a miracle should happen and the Washington morons actually agree on a significant decrease in spending and at the same time a significant increase in tax revenues-- certainly the right thing to do, but if they do it they are almost certain to do it wrong -- then the market will take a mild hit and go down, because the dollar will strengthen some. But it will be a "hit" in only the nominal sense, and we will all be better off in the long run. (Don't worry though if you are long, the chance of these morons doing the right thing is minuscule.)

#38     Jul 24, 2011
  9. noddyboy

noddyboy

Shortie -- do you really think sentiment indicators work? I think it is at most a 55% chance that they work.

#39     Jul 24, 2011
  10. Lucrum

Lucrum

Apparently he does. Have you not noticed the couple hundy polls he's posted? :D

#40     Jul 24, 2011