Why Leveraged ETFs Are Too Risky for Retirement Accounts

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ajacobson, Mar 19, 2019.

1. ajacobson

ajacobson

2. ET180

ET180

Can't read it, no subscription.

murray t turtle likes this.
  3. %%
    Well 100% of home forclosures are leveraged LOL. I wonder if that chart proves what IBD founder said ?? ''..... in the later stages of bull market, get off margin '' [3X ETFs are margined ,so to speak] All those 3X ETFs have plenty of risk warnings; several hundred pages to 500 pages /+ of warnings.:cool::cool:

ironchef likes this.
  4. qwerty11

qwerty11

So TQQQ is up approximately 3500% from inception (feb 2010 (the chart is not cherry picked but from inception))

QQQ is in that period from appr. 45 to 180 (so 300% up)

QQQ pays dividend (TQQQ does not). Let's assume that this is (compounded) an extra 100%. So long QQQ earned 400%.

Quite astonishing that the leverage pulls much more (up) than the decay + management fee (down).

5. eurusdzn

eurusdzn

Levered utility etf is nice in environment where dividend yield is relatively favorable to treasury yields( like now) . Sort of like a spread trade. Same with long levered reits. Nothing to sneeze at.
    Got a young nephew whose 1st multi family is a levered long 33x investment.
    Obama money. Not much skin in the game.
    Buy,buy,buy......

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  6. srinir

srinir

Here is a 2 times leverage Nasdaq-100 index fund with a longer history from its inception.
    This is a growth chart, so it includes dividend reinvestment. Investor would have been down 30% after 19 years.

3 times levered would have fared much worse.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  7. Yes, the rebalancing constitutes an inverse vol-pump, minus fees. A small investoer with a RobinHood (close to zero transaction costs when rebalancing MOC) could easily implement an actual vol-pump on the QQQ and commensurately outperform the unleveraged index index over the 19 year period.

murray t turtle and ironchef like this.
  8. srinir

srinir

Problem with these leveraged ETF's (looking in isolation) investor can not sustain huge drawdown and abandon at the worse possible time. These are best suited when paired with some what negatively correlated instruments like long bond and/or gold.

murray t turtle and ironchef like this.
  9. ironchef

ironchef

Very interesting comments. I was thinking about rebalancing my levered portfolio to reduce drawdown risks.

Let me see if I understand what you were saying: When you do levered QQQ, rebalancing will worsen your absolute return? But what about risk adjusted return?

#10     Mar 20, 2019