Why just there are NOT many female traders?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by crgarcia, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoDoji

NoDoji

Uh oh.

Are you insinuating my mind might not be right?

Now I'm starting to worry.

I feel my hormones fluctuating.

'Scuse me while I inject some testosterone so tomorrow I can put on some "market-on-open" trades instead of waiting for those perfect setups :D :D :D :D :D

#11     Aug 3, 2008
  2. the data is interesting.

divide those who start into two classes.

divide the successful into two classes.

Compare the intra class ratios.

compare the inter class ratios.

Sorry guys. You don't want to know why and since you don't lets keep it that way.

#12     Aug 3, 2008
  3. I am a woman trader and have not been able to find women friends who like to even talk about the markets. If I bring up investments, inevitably they talk about their husband and how good he is with money and jewelry (as if jewelry is an investment).

It's quite frustrating.

#13     Aug 3, 2008
  4. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

There are probably more woman traders and investors than most people know, but they tend not to have the need for recognition and whatnot that men have. I know that when Toni and I where together she had a group of 15/20 woman she talked to fairly often that where decent traders.

#14     Aug 3, 2008
  5. silepapy

silepapy

I have to admit, I am a bit of a Jim Cramer fun (I hope to avoid any polarization such a statement makes). Anyway, one of the most interesting, and least discussed, aspect of his 'Street addict' book, is how he portrays his (former?) wife. There is a guy whose life is consumed by the market, pursuing portfolio performance ahead of anything, always in a state of emotional wreck, and always at the mercy of the 'market', even though at any time he could simply quit, and trade just for himself and make enough money to have a comfortable life.

On the other hand, his wife, which according to his own admittance could pick stocks better than he could and was a better trader than him, is always quietly saving his b*tt, sets limits, and is the backbone of his trading operation. It was she that eventually choose to give it up and stay home in order to be with her kids and enjoy life.

I actually think women make better traders; the reason they don't appear as much in these forums is because they don't need to. What's worst, if you take a look at the popular investment/trading press, the 'analyst men' are of all kids, young/old/bold/wise/wis-cracks, you get the idea. Look at the women, they the typical dolled up pretty-faced, 'look-at' me type. This does nothing but amplify the 'marry the trader' perception that has been mentioned in this thread.

I am having such a hard time trying to steer my two daughters into a healthy place in society, and hope they will learn about investments and eventually trading. I think they can do so much better than I can, but going easy for now. But I sure hope they are successful, without having to marry the 'prince'. After all, who else is going to pay for my live-in assisted care facility when I have early onset Alzheimer ? :)

#15     Aug 3, 2008
  6. Pita

Pita

Women don't trade simply because they are smarter, sharper in recognizing what is working and what not and instinctively are not wasting life-energy. Their time since evolution is limited and accordingly they dont run after pipe dreams half or most of their lives. Beyond that they are impatient, dont like risks and avoid gambling or developing addictive patterns. Simply smarter, hehehe.

#16     Aug 3, 2008
  7. Because they are too busy with their knitting

#17     Aug 3, 2008
  8. Goog post sile,

I was going to mention earlier about her. I read the book and she did have composure unlike her husband.

#18     Aug 3, 2008
  9. There is some truth to this no doubt.

I think the competitive nature of guys makes us do some really stupid things at times but is also the reason we, every once in a while, accomplish something great.

#19     Aug 3, 2008
  10. skim

skim

It's all to do with ego. Or, more importantly, lack of it. And that's where we girls are, by nature, more readily able to 'submit' to the market, and thereby follow the market, rather than want the market to submit to the postion we have entered.

And being able to knit and trade helps ...

#20     Aug 3, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.