Why Jesse Livermore never managed others' money?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by qll, Feb 23, 2007.

1. nicely put...considering the times...

I am living in the wrong era...I truly would have liked to be there then...

he was a financial gentleman

#21     Feb 24, 2007
  2. virgin

virgin

Sometimes I dream I have a beer with Jesse :p

We, as traders, must all show respect for a financial gentleman

#22     Feb 24, 2007
  3. Too bad most Wall Street types (including traders not on the street proper) are fucking pigs to the core.

So I guess I agree but I have a feeling it has always been this way.

#23     Feb 24, 2007
  4. I wouldn't call him a great trader. In the end he lost all and killed himself.

He is gambler for sure. Don't say that if he had good money management skill he would end up better. The fact is if he had better mone management, he wouldn't make that much gain eitehr.

Risk and reward are always tied up with each other. He chose to gamble big and he lost big. That's it.

#24     Feb 24, 2007
  5. porge

porge

Pekelo...what a freak you are...trader wannabe...forum to forum with sick comments/ thoughts of young girls...you have just what i thought you have in your brain....YOUR HEAD IS A GARBAGE CAN WITH A HAIRY LID ON IT...

#25     Feb 24, 2007
  6. "<i>Do you think Jesse was a great trader or not?"</i>

Define the term <b>trader</b>

That is the basis from which any opinions can emerge from there.

My definition of a trader is someone who can regularly, consistently profit from buy/sell process of goods or services on purely speculative terms. That is done on equal footing with everyone else... no inside information or special privilege.

Does Jesse fit that definition? Well, let's see...

Most of his huge winnings came from backroom deals and inside knowledge that let him take positions which worked. He also tried to corner some markets with supposed "inside information" that blew up, when he got conned himself.

What part of that had to do with superior trading performance on equal footing with others? Was that duplicatible by others, or exactly akin to inside trading at hedge funds that you & I have zero chance to ever accomplish?

Jesse had no consistent system or method to create a lasting edge. He threw sh*t at the proverbial walls enough times, had some of it stick for big hits and banked some rolls. Even quicker, he lost it repeatedly.

Where was the edge as a trader? None. His edge and "adult life" wealth all came from backroom deals on inside information. Can you do the same, or aren't you capable of being as great a trader simply by exclusion of illegal edges available to you?

Livermore was a great gambler, not a trader. Hell, what's the title of his book? <i>Reminisces Of A Stock <b>Trader?</i></b>

What is your definition of an "Operator"? That is the specific label given to Jesse in big, bold print. What does "operator" mean? I take it to mean someone who had limited ability to manipulate and position on inside information. What do you think it means?

Am I jealous of what Jesse accomplished? Hardly. I've already done everything (and a whole lot more) that he did except for make & squander millions of dollars.

Here's my beef. Everyone goes around quoting his supposed quotes like they are gospel. In fact, much of it is detrimental to success as a trader. Trying to pick tops & bottoms is a loser's game. Show me someone who thinks that is a long-term successful approach and I'll show you a net loser. Eventually, extended trends kill them all.

Jesse tried to game price turns as his core strategy. Some of that was done via inside information, some of it on hunches via his skill as a gambler. In the end, "operating" price turns resulted in the way it always does... dead broke.

In my opinion, the story of Livermore is no less tragic than 1,000s of others. One that comes to mind is Jack Whittaker... man who won the $315mil Powerball jackpot on 12/25/2002.

I had the first three numbers of the drawing correct on my ticket out in Livingston, MT that night. My heart stopped when they read off the numbers drawn, for a moment. What a birthday present it would have been for me!

But I digress.

Jack has since been arrested many times, his granddaughter died of a heroin overdose and he is now reportedly broke. $113 million cash, after all taxes, apparently gone.

Should we write a book about Jack titled, <i>"Reminisces Of A PowerBall Operator?</i> I'm sure he has plenty of stories to tell about living large for the past four years.

It was a fun but tumultuous ride while it lasted... for both men profiled above.

#26     Feb 24, 2007
  7. Re-read the book, he was asked to operate stocks for others several times.

Not the traditional OPM of nowdays, but close enough. He wasn't always 100% self-capitalized, he had different agreements on occasion depending on where he was trading and who was backing him.

He also points out a few disagreements and problems when he had those arrangements. That may be your answer.

#27     Feb 24, 2007
  8. austinp, I think you SUCK!!! I think you rip people off every day with your sucky video you overcharge people for. YOU SUCK!!! You are a jelous piece of crap!!

#28     Feb 24, 2007
  9. <i>"You are a jelous piece of crap!!"</i>

Goodfellow, let me ask you this: can you hope to replicate anything that Jesse did using the tactics he used? Can you build a career for yourself in the same manner he did?

More importantly, does anyone hope to replicate his acheivements? I don't mean only the good parts... I mean who wants to walk in his tragic shoes from birth to untimely death?

Jesse Livermore is a tragic story to me. No more or less tragic or remarkable than any other similar broke - rich - broke - rich =broke story. I honestly pity the man himself and can relate to much of his legacy of depression.

I've always said he may have been the finest person you'll ever meet. As a role model for aspiring traders, what am I missing here?

#29     Feb 24, 2007
  10. I thought the book was a good read...

I read it to reminisce more than to follow...

There were some, what I consider to be some heartfelt intimate dialogues, that the writer captivated the reader with...well me anyways...

For me its a story to read over and over again...I pick up that book often, when I am depressed.

Austin this is not a defensive post or posture towards you...I am neutral...but I have had the chance to read the book and would recommend it personally to any trader that has a passion for trading...whether they use some of the reflections in the book or do not use them is up to them...

I consider, "Reminiscence of a Stock Operator"... "trading 101"...to get the "history" of trading...

Michael B.

#30     Feb 24, 2007