Why isn't IB up here defending themselves?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by drcha, Aug 14, 2019.

1. maxinger

maxinger

No point complaining and getting frustrated.
    It causes health problem and worse it affects our ability to trade well.

Either accept it or choose another broker.

In fact, it is good to have at least 2 brokers.
    if one system is down, you have the backup.

#21     Aug 15, 2019
    MarkBrown, MattZ and RedDuke like this.
  2. RedDuke

RedDuke

The issue is underlying technology, they picked - Java, and IB is stuck with it now. Garbage collection always have been java weak link. Thee is nothing IB can do about it apart from fully rewriting using different technology.

In my view overall benefits of IB overweight flows, not for all of course.

#22     Aug 15, 2019
    MarkBrown likes this.
  3. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

Hello @def, There was no reason to unleash such an angry post. I respect competition in the market place and believe that in a competitive market place, both customers and businesses do better. When I say "most," it was a compliment and testament to your exposure to the different media outlets that give people exposure to markets. There are other companies like ADM that we clear that are similar to your seg funds (4.,4B), but that is not where people think to trade first. I do not doubt that there are accounts who switch to you as a result of our size and exposure, and I never said that all those who come to IB leave.

Having said the above, you are not a solution for everyone when it comes to Futures. Some require specific API, execution, and "white-glove" service where smaller companies such as mine fill the gap. On the other hand, many do not have a multiasset execution software, and when a customer needs it, you are a good if not a perfect solution.

For the sake of honesty, I switched guys from IB to us, but I also have customers who switched to you. I appreciate the decision of my traders and their needs. Bottom line, I respect your efforts in the industry, and I apologize if my comments seem to upset you. You are a straight shooter who says it like it is, but please don't interpret each post as negative.

I wish you all the best in your career and efforts.

#23     Aug 15, 2019
    heispark, comagnum and themickey like this.
  4. This has nothing to do with Java and garbage collection (garbage collection in C# and Java can be forced). It has to do with their risk and settlement engine and procedures but it's not bottlenecked by their programming language of choice.

#24     Aug 15, 2019
    traderslair and MotiveWave like this.
  5. Well if your firm closes some gaps that IB exposes then I would love to know which. So far I have not heard any selling points that you consider an edge over IB. Can you name a few specific issues that you consider a particular strength of your firm? IB is very transparent about what it offers and what not. In contrast, FCMs like your firm are extremely secretive about their features. No PMs pls I like to hear it publicly on record.

#25     Aug 15, 2019
  6. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

Not going into a sales pitch over here. everything is on our site www.optimisfutures.com

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    #26     Aug 15, 2019
    themickey likes this.
  7. Thanks for your clear and conclusive answer. You perfectly answered my question.

#27     Aug 15, 2019
  8. RedDuke

RedDuke

There could be other reasons, but GC has to do with it for sure as well. Forcing it, creates host of issues for such a complex environment.

#28     Aug 15, 2019
  9. What in particular don't you like about IB's products?

#29     Aug 15, 2019
  10. I run an entire algorithmic platform for weeks without interruptions. Garbage collection happens all the time and does not interrupt risk, pricing, data feeds, or the like.

#30     Aug 15, 2019
    traderslair likes this.