Why isn't IB up here defending themselves?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by drcha, Aug 14, 2019.

1. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Whatcha need there is a G.F.L.A.W.H.* to shorten the distance to a globally reasonable amount. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I have opened a ticket on it.
    Purdue, MIT, and CERN are collaborating.
    Should be good. IB should take note.

* Glass-Fiber Local-Area Worm Hole

#111     Aug 20, 2019
  2. d08

d08

And when you do automated trading, Linux is the only serious OS to go with. I'm using Windows 10 as my day-to-day but it's probably the last Windows I'll ever be using. The only reason is if you do any kind of gaming, which I did in the past.

#112     Aug 20, 2019
  3. d08

d08

IB won't have servers in every country especially considering that India probably isn't a big market for them. For traders concerned with 150ms or less of added latency, they should definitely only rely on colocation. IB only has one server location in Europe despite having probably 20-30 as many customers from EU compared to India.

Also, cables are not laid directly so your map doesn't make much sense.

#113     Aug 20, 2019
  4. def

def Sponsor

Again an "everyone". Distance does matter and there a cost benefit consideration to putting credit check modules and client server farms in every exchange we offer. For me, latency to the HK servers is pretty good at 2ms, 210ms on average to the US servers, and to be lazy, to nse.com (I didn't want to look up our server IP address at NSE) 162 ms. For anyone without the ability to co-locate to markets around the world, this is still faster than the blink of any eye.

For the datafeed, there is no measurable latency to the human eye. We do indeed provide snapshot data which occurs several times per second (and faster than the blink of any eye) to optimize bandwidth. However, it is important to note on the server level, the data is streaming and in most cases a direct feed from the exchange itself. (ie. if you run a stop it will be triggered based on the server level data).

You are obviously in India. While our access to the exchange is colocated, at this point the economics and structural issues such as incoming telco reliability, don't make sense to put the client level infrastructure in place. If you are trading other markets from India, you can ask to move the the US, European or HK server farms. So if you are trading US more actively, that could make sense.

#114     Aug 20, 2019
  5. El_Cubano

El_Cubano

There are data feed issues as far as charts loading and updating in a timely manner. Experienced it again this morning with charts hanging and and slowly loading (or not loading at all) certain time frames.

#115     Aug 21, 2019
  6. rvdesh

rvdesh

Agreed, it makes economic sense for big markets.
    It is understood cables are not laid straight, that adds to additional few milliseconds!!
    With a delay of 300ms plus(two way) , order fill rate of limit orders is very poor. This is obvious when I see stop orders are filled well before the same last traded price comes on TWS screen!!

#116     Aug 22, 2019
  7. themickey

themickey

Here's some news out today....

..........Australia: The corporate regulator is preparing to use new intervention powers for the first time to block or restrict the sale of two exotic financial products that have burned unsuspecting mum and dad investors.
    The Australian Securities and Investments Commission is looking to ban the sale of binary options, which are often sold through websites run by boiler room style operations offshore in low governance jurisdictions like Belize and the Seychelles. It is also looking to restrict the sale of Contracts for Difference - more commonly known as CFDs - to retail clients.
    ASIC on Thursday released a consultation paper about its use of its product intervention powers to address what it said was "significant detriment to retail clients resulting from over-the-counter (OTC) binary options and CFDs".

Any restrictions put in place by ASIC will have an impact on local providers of the products including CMC Markets, IG Markets and Interactive Brokers.......
    https://www.smh.com.au/business/mar...fds-for-retail-investors-20190822-p52jky.html

#117     Aug 22, 2019
  8. rvdesh

rvdesh

Your information is useful to make the most out of given constraints...changing my order types. Now placing stop-limit orders instead of placing limit order on crossing price threshold. Thanks for that. Request if IB Can do something about improving quality and speed of datafeed, increasing requests per second ...

#118     Aug 22, 2019
  9. def

def Sponsor

Interesting to see we are mentioned by the author of the article as any press is good press but if he really did his homework and read the consult he would see that we satisfy all the margin provisions of the proposal and known we offer a transparent and fair product.

I like to think of the IB CFD product as more of a market access type/institutional swap product that is essentially just a back to back transaction on an exchange. Our clients have the ability to add quotes to the exchange book in the same way they would trading stocks. This is possible because IB will match all CFD orders immediately with a hedge-order. As a result a non-marketable CFD order will create a matching non-marketable order for the underlying share on the exchange.

https://www.interactivebrokers.co.uk/en/index.php?f=39284 for further details.

The real issue here is that Australia and other markets have had problems with CFDs as they were largely unregulated and there are instances of firms offering product dubious in nature. FX rec'd a similar bad name and many of the cowboys had to change their model. In that regard, I am glad they are putting in measures that at first glance seem reasonable and will have minimal, if any, impact on our current product.

#119     Aug 22, 2019
    d08 and themickey like this.
  10. isc1746

isc1746

I think he meant it as a positive comment. IB is usually thought of as a serious broker, first to allow APIs. Newbies may say the TWS is too complicated, so I tell them they are not ready for IB, as it is for serious traders/investors. All meant as positive, and thank you very much for participating in these threads.

#120     Aug 22, 2019
    def, eastern_warrior and themickey like this.