Why is TT the overwhelmingly preferred software among professional futures traders?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by pinetboltz, Nov 30, 2017.

1. pinetboltz

pinetboltz

There was an interview given by Paul Rotter where he says he uses TT's MD Trader.

It seems a LOT of professional futures traders, esp. those who do large orders / scalping use TT.

For those who're using it,
    - What's so good about TT's software, that other alternatives simply can't compare?
    - Do you need a special internet connection / configurations (ie. wired, no wifi, etc) to get optimum performance out of TT?

2. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

The interview with Paul Rotter was like 10-15 years ago... at that time, TT had really something special with very little competition on that quality level.

Today it is a bit different, TT is more than ever a good piece of software, but there are also some excellent products from its competitors.
    I think there are enough fulltime traders that use CTS T4, Rithimic Rtrader, CQG, Sierra or something else.

Xela likes this.
  3. truetype

truetype

There's a long backstory. Around 10- 12 years ago TT aggressively worked the patent angle to box out competitors. PATS J-Trader emerged as the cheaper but not quite as good alternate.

4. helgen_1

helgen_1

TT's X_Trader is the gold standard. For my trading style I cannot do without it.

I am purely a directional scalper. There are lots of features for spread traders and autotrading, but I am watching it tick by tick and reading the tape. The MD with its T&S gives a good view of the action, but with the markets moving so fast I also need to listen to the size going off, and whether it's on the bid or the ask. It is too much to rely only on your eyes.

I did a quick recording yesterday to illustrate what I am looking at and listening to.

It shows the CL, in the background there are a few other alerts that gives me new highs and lows in other contracts.

H.

pinetboltz likes this.
  5. sprstpd

sprstpd

I think I would rather pull off my toenails than listen to those beeps while trading. Kudos to you for being able to put up with it.

f2calv likes this.
  6. helgen_1

helgen_1

He he, that's what makes a market.

Thanks.

H.

7. pinetboltz

pinetboltz

Very cool, extra credit for the video

Do u recommend having a wired internet connection to run TT? or is their software so fast compared to other software that it doesn't even make a difference if u run TT on wifi?

8. fan27

fan27

Sounds like an 80's arcade game :) What triggers the sound of breaking glass?

9. helgen_1

helgen_1

10. helgen_1

helgen_1

It is to alert me to new lows in CL. For new highs there is a different sound.

I also have different sounds for equities, bonds and currencies. So while I am trading in and out I know what the broader market is doing just by listening.

On a day like today I need more than just visual inputs to stay on top of what's going on.

H.

#10     Dec 1, 2017
    fan27 and themickey like this.