Why is there no volume on Forex?

Discussion in 'Forex' started by Worldcrusher, Oct 6, 2007.

1. frank99

frank99

I receive volume info from one of my forex brokers.

Frank

#11     Oct 8, 2007
  2. You want to explain how your broker gets volume on transactions that are not even reported to it???

Perhaps you mean Fx futures.

#12     Oct 8, 2007
  3. Quite a few of the MT4 dealing desk brokers and other various bucket shops offer "volume" data that just consists of the number of tick movements per period. It's next to useless, and it confuses a lot of novice traders by making them believe it's actual volume data being reported.

#13     Oct 8, 2007
  4. Which ECNs? I have not seen Currenex or Hotspot FXi offer anything like this..

#14     Oct 8, 2007
  5. FX Marketspace is the only venue i know who publishes their spot-turnover. At the moment volume seems still non-existant. You can even calculate how much commission-revenue they generate (not very much).

#15     Oct 8, 2007
  6. wenzi

wenzi

IDEALPRO publishes the size at the BBO

#16     Oct 13, 2007
  7. Yes they display the depth of course, like every ecn, but not the transaction volumes ala futures. Brokers do not want to disclose their volume-figures, its sensitive information, it directly translates to how profitable they are. (I.E. you can calculate the commission revenue of FX Marketspace - at the moment it probably doesnt even cover their CEOs salary).

#17     Oct 14, 2007
  8. ETW77

ETW77

EBS volume on the currencies that trade on it are available...but obviously only to the member banks..some of the research they put out actually has the volume charts however

#18     Oct 15, 2007
  9. Only figure I know of is BIS totals.

#19     Oct 15, 2007
  10. First, I want to thank everyone who took the time to reply to my initial post. The answers have helped me to understand the Forex market a little better.

But here is something else I do not understand. In the equities market, I can watch the tape to get a sense of what is going on before I enter a trade. In Forex, is there an equivalent?

If there is no tape equivalent, and no volume, it would seem to be a HUGE disadvantage. Other than technical formations and fundamentals such as geopolitical events and news, how do you get a sense of the current market for whatever pair you are trading?

Thanks in advance.

Daryl

#20     Oct 15, 2007