Why Is The Obvious Not So Obvious?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by nysestocks, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Pelt

Pelt

Minor point here, but technically, to that question:
    "Why Is The Obvious Not So Obvious?"

A reasonable answer I would think, would be... because it's not actually obvious. If it were obvious, everyone would see it.

In the original post, later that statement is presented as:
    "...the obvious is not so obvious to many"

I think that is probably a bit more of an accurate distinction.

The distinction I am making is not an important one, it is just something I thought about.

#5471     Jan 13, 2017
  2. Pelt

Pelt

I would probably ask "HOW would I do that?"

If an answer to that question couldn't be provided, I would ask, "WHY would I do that?"

An answer to the second question might shed light on the first.

#5472     Jan 13, 2017
  3. Overnight

Overnight

Pelt, are you getting involved in a deep discussion with wtfauoa? You are entering a world of pain.

#5473     Jan 13, 2017
  4. Pelt

Pelt

When you can accept the reality that NOBODY will EVER explain explicitly how to take money from other traders on the internet, you realize that what goes on in trading forums is just a game.

When you truly understand that, you will realize there is no pain to be experienced.

#5474     Jan 13, 2017
  5. Overnight

Overnight

You said it man. Nobody fucks with the Jesus.

(The point here is that you probably won't get anywhere with wtfauoa. Last warning. Enjoy)

#5475     Jan 13, 2017
    vanzandt likes this.
  6. vanzandt

vanzandt

The Dude: It’s like what Lenin said… you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh…
    Donny: I am the walrus.
    The Dude: You know what I’m trying to say…
    Walter Sobchak: That fucking bitch…
    The Dude: Oh yeah!
    Walter Sobchak: Shut the fuck up, Donny! V.I. Lenin. Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov!
    Donny: What the fuck is he talking about, Dude?

#5476     Jan 13, 2017
    Overnight likes this.
  7. algofy

algofy

@wtfauoa

Please share just one sentance of helpful trading talk that isn't just your normal pure random drivel.

#5477     Jan 13, 2017
  8. Vindago

Vindago

The Obvious is not so Obvious because we (Traders) look at it (in our charts) each and every day without seeing it.

So maybe we should ask the question: "what am I looking at when I look at a Chart, and what is the chart made of that I do not see for what it is?"

I can promise you that when you finally really see it, money will start flowing to your account in buckets!

#5478     Jan 14, 2017
  9. There is some truth to it.
    I read nearly 80 books on trading,took one year off from work and studied price movements and indicators and put some money around 4K to trade to see what suggestions i will get from live trading after all I read.Also studied game theory,roulette results etc and i burned out.Long story short like a year later i sat down one Saturday in the park drinking coffee and started thinking about it again.I said to myself lets throw out all what i learned and start again,but this time only research further idea,concept that so far i never read about.Does not matter how crazy it is.
    wtfauoa gives the hint you won't find it in a standard backtest.Why,because that part or logic as one would say will not come to the surface in the backtest.Needs to be on its own in order to see the value in it and what it really is.
    So all these computer science guys writing code and testing have little chance to see it in results of backtesting.It will get skewed or covered up

Elitetrader is decent forum,between 2001 and 2006 i used to read it almost daily,some guys here wrote things that made me open my eyes.I think it is still good forum,but i don't search for knowledge like back then so i look at it differently.

BTW I lost that 4K,it was good tuition,needed to know what losing does and what emotions are.The obvious was that losing breaks the rational thinking so i needed to come up with fully mechanical system in order to deal with it

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    #5479     Jan 14, 2017
  10. wtfauoa

wtfauoa

Be very careful with a "full mechanical system", but it will depend on how you set up your automation and what you use it for. If you are planning on automating signals based on TA or PA, then I would not expect you to post again telling us how well it worked out for you. On the other hand, it can be very advantageous to automate such things as adequate range and risk amount per trade. Use the computer to make you money, not cost you money.

#5480     Jan 14, 2017
    Van_der_Voort_4 likes this.