Why Is The Obvious Not So Obvious?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by nysestocks, Jan 25, 2009.

1. RobSwe

RobSwe

This tells me volatility is perceived as the most important change for you. I agree it is important. Personally I like to look at additional things such as where the broad market is and money flow, but that's just my perception and it can change.

#5341     Oct 28, 2016
  2. Pelt

Pelt

I still find this topic interesting in the way that it was presented. I think about it often still, not so much for 'trading' purposes, but still more just for 'wtf' aspect of what was being discussed. With the many things being discussed in this thread, I've still always thought on the MAIN query posed in the thread, for YEARS!!!! And have had MANY different ideas as to what the OP was on about. Particularity the first few pages of the thread.

This above quote, the first underlined section, re-contextualizing the sentence... "The obvious IS: not so obvious to many."

Along with the above embolden text is this:
    Again... thinking about that re-contextualized sentence above: "The obvious IS: not so obvious to many." This must relate to understanding what 'the majority' does? As stated, the majority are unaware of the obvious. So THE OBVIOUS is something that is not obvious to the many

A thought I have had for years. Stated by the OP, 2 things of note:
    Initially, one thought I had, about WHAT the obvious was, is to simply BLASH, or SHABL. I know, this sounds stupid and obvious to everyone who will read it, but then that's why I thought it was the point. As it is something so obvious and simple, that everyone would overlook the statement.

My thought on the above was that, the obvious is simply to BLASH/SHABL... and the key was to work out, what is 'relatively' LOW, or what is 'relatively' HIGH? Relative to a prior price, or relative to a previous TIME? Once you know where price is either of those two things, you could then begin to work out your trading?

A while back in this thread, I asked the question, "Is it possible to know WHAT the obvious is, but not understand how to carry it out?" The above paragraph was the thought I had in mind. I.e., know what must be done is to BLASH/SHABL, and the HOW is simply what is 'relatively' HIGH or LOW?

One last thing. Are we talking about things learned over the course of a lifetime, or are we talking about things learned relative to trading? I've thought it was the former, as I can say from personal experience, since trying to conquer trading, I've actually forgotten about almost everything I've ever learned before becoming interested in trading. ;)

A bunch of questions and random thoughts with no real answers admittedly.

#5342     Nov 25, 2016
    odlareg likes this.
  3. The point of this thread is that the entry is the most important aspect for a retail trader.Simple as that.What else you were thinking for year of?

#5343     Nov 25, 2016
  4. Mysteron

Mysteron

Without a definitive response from the OP the point of the thread can be whatever you or anyone else thinks it should be.

#5344     Nov 25, 2016
  5. algofy

algofy

I think it's all Mumbo Jumbo.

#5345     Nov 25, 2016
  6. Vindago

Vindago

Pelt you are on the right track, BLASH and SHABL is quite Obvious, in fact it is so obvious that is overlooked and discarded by most traders... However that's not enough as you need to figure out what (not where) is Low and High, these changes over time but for a limited amount of time they define the lower and upper side of the Box... now go figure when and how to draw the Box...

#5346     Dec 4, 2016
    odlareg and Pelt like this.
  7. Ed48

Ed48

The majority does mainstream trading. The obvious, that they are unaware of, is that, no matter how hard they try, this this will never work very well.

So, the obvious prerequisite to [successfully] trading any market is to discover what does work.

This article contains the words "obvious prerequisite". It's not about trading but there are parallels.
    http://www.hardbodysuccessblog.com/...to-make-bodybuilding-really-work-for-you.html

"What? Nobody does that. That's stupid. If I do that…"

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    #5347     Dec 4, 2016
  8. Ed48

Ed48

9. Pelt

Pelt

Slight clarification on 'the obvious' itself(what a trader must KNOW) as a distinction from the action(what must be DONE) of BLASH/SHABL.

#5349     Dec 5, 2016
  10. Ed48

Ed48

Re. "you must BLASH and SHABL to make money"

That's not strictly true. BuyHighAndSellHigher and SellLowAndBuyLower can make money.

#5350     Dec 6, 2016
    dontrader01 likes this.